Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Hop brought in Sal Salas and others to help design the show right? People keep saying take him out of it but I believe he took himself out. 

This was always a mystery to me.  I don't know how much Sal Salas was ever involved.  I know he and Marc Sylvester were involved at points in program coordination, but quit/were fired.

I agree GH should stay with the organization, just not in a creative role.  He is a very good administrator.

When you look at the creative teams they are up against above them its hard to see a way up.  Everyone is stacked.

Edited by cadet93

Well my year off was fun, now to join my young folk again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

It's being heavily implied that Micheal Klesch is heading to Cadets. If true, prob Harloff too.

wat??  I sense a troll.  If that were true wouldn't you think Saktig would go back also?

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

It's being heavily implied that Micheal Klesch is heading to Cadets. If true, prob Harloff too.

Hmmm...I figured that if Klesch went anywhere, it would be to Boston.

Could see Prime going to Crown if Klesch leaves, if the rumor about him wanting to get back in the game is true.

2 hours ago, ShortAndFast said:

It seems like the biggest thing the Cadets need to address is program coordination. They had a show which had some compelling moments, and one of the most musical books on the field. And yet in the end we got Naked Jesus and a lot of heavy-handed use of narration and crosses. And placements below the corps as a whole in percussion & brass. It's maybe worth pondering how the Cavaliers, whose entire GE/show concept was a huge pile of electronic cheese, somehow managed to better connect with the audience and judges.

DCI is insanely competitive right now - frankly Cadets should consider themselves lucky that they were not passed by BK. There are too many groups putting out good shows, and Cadets no longer attract the level of talent that medals even with a weak show. If they are going to rebuild, they need to field shows that are better designed than what's around them, so that they attract better performers who want to march those shows.

There are a lot of opinions on DCP that Hop is the problem - I personally don't sit in Cadets design meetings and don't have any idea where the design process goes off the rails. But certainly the responsibility to fix it is on his shoulders. As director, his job is to hire and empower a creative & instructional team that gets the right product on the field.

keyword

3 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

Getting the Crown team back together! Is Thom coming back, too?

Just now, ftwdrummer said:

Hmmm...I figured that if Klesch went anywhere, it would be to Boston.

Could see Prime going to Crown if Klesch leaves, if the rumor about him wanting to get back in the game is true.

I think the George/Cipriani team will work out fine. Klesch and Harloff are practically a package now. 

The big question is who replaces Harloff at Crown. EVD?

• Like 1

Also, not sure how moving to Cadets would affect the Academy? The way @Cadevilina Crown was talking in the Crown 18 thread, I thought Klesch was retiring or taking a break from the activity a la Michael Gaines.