The Cavaliers 2018, 70 years of excellence

10 hours ago, xandandl said:

Cavie alums, Hook'Em and Popcorneater will all be particularly proud.

Lsten to the lyrics of the verse being sung in harmony here about brotherhood and fraternity.

Freddie/Mike/Kevin may have given this hornline and corps something to rival their famed singing of Rainbow and the canon We Are the Mighty Cavaliers.

Will these 3 be the encore feature for this summer?

Haha, I am always proud of the corps. Man, I can not wait until I see them this summer.

To add, they have  a pop encore  tune.

I agree that this is wonderful,  but I still love the corps song.

7 hours ago, littlejaw said:

It’s a really good piece for sure. I’m fairly certain that this intended to be a warm up, but it could be a lasting fixture in warm up for years to come. I feel there is a little more after the crescendo we didn’t get to hear yet that should be a lot of fun.

Oh, that's right. I forgot that there's more... 

10 hours ago, xandandl said:

Cavie alums, Hook'Em and Popcorneater will all be particularly proud.

Lsten to the lyrics of the verse being sung in harmony here about brotherhood and fraternity.

Freddie/Mike/Kevin may have given this hornline and corps something to rival their famed singing of Rainbow and the canon We Are the Mighty Cavaliers.

Will these 3 be the encore feature for this summer?

Those lyrics were composed by a current Marching Member of the Cavaliers. And yes...I think it will be a great addition to their tradition in year 70. I'm very excited for these young men and their staff/volunteers this summer. Going in with NO expectation of placement versus other corps, but with a genuine excitement for them moving up their game regardless of what is going on elsewhere. Can't wait for Ford Field in 15 days! 

On a sidenote, I won a "Hymn Memorization" contest in my 6th grade youth choir just because I was a little competitive SOB back then...but I love hearing DCI brass lines play hymnody. There was never a better match made. Hymns are straight SATB...and so are Drum Corps. 

So "The Triumph of Time" has been used for

• SCV's 50th anniversary show
  • BD's 60th anniversary show
  • The Cavaliers' 70th anniversary show

Which corps celebrating an anniversary soon is next to perform this piece?

13 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

So "The Triumph of Time" has been used for

• SCV's 50th anniversary show
  • BD's 60th anniversary show
  • The Cavaliers' 70th anniversary show

Which corps celebrating an anniversary soon is next to perform this piece?

Well...with a 17-minute long piece as the source material, who knows? :-) 

Edited by PopcornEater1963

1 hour ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Well...with a 17-minute long piece as the source material, who knows? :-) 

The parts not played before... nice too...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Those lyrics were composed by a current Marching Member of the Cavaliers. And yes...I think it will be a great addition to their tradition in year 70. 

No wonder they seem most appropriate.

P.S. Both Garfield Cadets and Star of Indiana when each was taught by the Jim Prime, Jr. and Donnie Van Doren brass duo used O Sacred Head Surrounded by Bach as a warm up (most touching.)  And of course Cadets made famous the Holsinger piece On A Hymnsong of Philip Bliss. Troopers, Phantom, and a number of corps have proven your point about corps talent and hymnody. Go back to Cavalier Advent Anthem show and all the corps who played "Jupiter" from Planets; it was based on an English hymn.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1