The Cavaliers 2018, 70 years of excellence

On 7/2/2018 at 6:52 PM, PCEP00 said:

"The Red Tarps"

Having spoken to no one on the design staff, I'm guessing they're going for this with the red line tarps that connect on the field:

a81FuEU.jpg

(A Beautiful Mind)

Or this:

b6c945cc-3c12-4a11-95d2-49e3cb0713bf-540

(Homeland)

"The thin line between genius and madness"...pretty creative, once you see what they are trying to do.

They just recently released a video confirming that it was in fact inspired by a scene in A Beautiful Mind.

We need an 80+ tonight, fellas!

• Like 3

Got the 80. Now to see how far the spread is to BD. This will recontextualize the season for all of us fans.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 6:03 PM, Jake W. said:

After a couple views (although the show did catch me right away at the season's opener), I think this is the (mistakenly) underestimated show design of the top 7ish at the moment. It simply reads as a natural growth out of their previous two seasons, and I love that forward progression. I love the BrainLab podcast and had no idea they were reflecting as well on the episode with the painter....I'm nuts about that aspect. Really, really cool. The red line tarps & scaffolding fences create some really interesting staging moments and it just reads as visually fresh. Orawa is intense. Bolero & What a World at the end is of course gold. Overall, just a deeper, more thoughtful show than we've seen from Cavies over the last two years (and I've loved the last two years), but it still has the big audience appeal of the last two shows. And I know it's been mentioned ad nauseam, but their brass is FINALLY playing at the level of their front ensemble and their visual execution...God they sound good! I'm not used to such deep, resonant sounds from this brass ensemble, and I'm eating it up. There is a ton to work on this season in this well- & deeply-designed production, and I don't imagine Cavies will end up anywhere near where they're sitting now in the rankings.

From my understanding, previous Cavaliers corps lacked that deep resonant sound because of the hyper-layered style of brass arranging rather than the talent of the corps itself. 

I agree with you, the hornline sounds fantastic this year 

• Like 1

I've been a member and a fan of Drum Corps since 1977.  I've always enjoyed Cavies, but this year they've blown me away.  Simply amazing!  When I saw them performing the outrageously over-the-top "Oh, What a World" it instantly became my favorite Cavalier show ever. I think they have a chance of taking the gold.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I've been a member and a fan of Drum Corps since 1977.  I've always enjoyed Cavies, but this year they've blown me away.  Simply amazing!  When I saw them performing the outrageously over-the-top "Oh, What a World" it instantly became my favorite Cavalier show ever. I think they have a chance of taking the gold.

Then they better start beating SVC, Crown, BD and Bloo .... which they have not (yet). Can't get the gold without passing these four.

1 minute ago, PamahoNow said:

Then they better start beating SVC, Crown, BD and Bloo .... which they have not (yet). Can't get the gold without passing these four.

And BAC. That makes five.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

And BAC. That makes five.

Well they have at least beaten BAC thrice this year.  Maybe not in the future.

I, agree, BAC is moving UP!

Edited by PamahoNow
Just and addition

12 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

I'm usually pulling for a particular corps to win, but this year I would be happy if SCV, Bluecoats, Blue Devils or Cavaliers come out on top.  There are so many corps with great programs that this year is turning out to be my favorite season since 1991

2 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I'm usually pulling for a particular corps to win, but this year I would be happy if SCV, Bluecoats, Blue Devils or Cavaliers come out on top.  There are so many corps with great programs that this year is turning out to be my favorite season since 1991

While I think that Cavaliers have a chance, it is getting slimmer by the day.  It is unfortunate that the schedule worked out as it did, very few matchups with the (dare I say it?) the obvious contenders.  They have (for the most part) been off on their own with anyone in their competition class.  SCV and BD together, Bloo, Cadets, BAC, and CC together.  The next two weeks will be telling.