The Cavaliers 2018, 70 years of excellence

11 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

New closer?? Already.

Yea, it's better than the old one.  You could say that it is new and improved.

Heck, everything will be new for you, so no problems there!

• Like 1

I am so excited about San Antonio. I think the Cavies are going to come out of San Antonio in 3rd place. That is my prediction and I'm sticking to it. LOL

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Not cutting the singing / Oh What a World, are they?  That's the best part of the show!  (He says, non-ironically.)

Mike

I don't think that is the part of the closer he's talking about. It the final part after Oh What a World that I think is the closer. I hope.

Edited by dureau
  • Like 1

The show has so much potential,they just need to clean, clean, clean and clean some more. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Yea, it's better than the old one.  You could say that it is new and improved.

Heck, everything will be new for you, so no problems there!

True.... but I guess I am used to nee closers on the field towards Atlanta. So, I have to wonder what in the world am I going to see next Friday

• Like 1

You 

2 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

True.... but I guess I am used to nee closers on the field towards Atlanta. So, I have to wonder what in the world am I going to see next Friday

You are probably going to see a reorganized and more prepared  corps in everything this year. 

• Like 1

This is a shout-out to Cavaliers and DCI for honoring two of my longtime friends for all they have done for the corps (and DCI.)

Adolph DeGrauwe, alum and twice Director of the corps, is a featured honoree for the corps' 70th. While not around for all 70 years although most of them, Adolph did yeomans work saving the corps from ruin several tenures over the years. On the DCI board he was so often the voice of common sense which put in check some of the more wild schemes of other directors who have since become notorious. I am particularly indebted to him for the way I was always welcomed about the corps particularly this situation. One of my five sisters had gotten her first job out of college in Evanston and had been the victim of a tragic car accident as a passenger on busy Chicago winter  streets. She was in intensive care there for more than two weeks. I flew out to be with her for that time. Knowing me from the Cadets and having sent Dave Flynn to Cavies back in the '70's, The Cavaliers under Adolph reached out to me providing me with transportation, concern, and inviting me each night to join them for the winter guard practices after I finished my hospital rounds for the day. That relationship continued when I eventually headed back East and returned frequently as the winter season developed and my sister received her out of hospital care. I was invited back for the remaining seasons that the corps had a winter guard.  As I bury a different sister this week in Greater Chicago, my family and I continue to cherish the outreach of the Cavaliers which helped my family and me in our hour of need.

Scott Rhebergen was a contra for Cavies and his brother also marched there. Scott went on to marry Dave Flynn's sister Marybeth. It was their father Jim Flynn who had given me my first paid instructor's job as a simple winter guard tech back in the early seventies. When the Flynn family moved to Illinois, our friendship continued and I learned of all the transportation and other logistical work Scott rendered to the corps behind the scenes.  This nearly spands three decades now. Two of Dave's sons followed their father into the Green Machine where he had become DM after Jeff Fiedler's tenure. Now Dave  has been on BoD for many years. Scott and Marybeth's sons Andrew and Patrick also followed the example of the father, Andrew going on to become the DM for Cavies as well. You remember him as the DM who high-hurdled the pit instruments to make it to the front podium in time to hold the other DM upside down while conducting the drummers playing upside down. These past seasons Andrew has been on SCV's visual staff, first under his former Mt. Prospect guru Pete Weber, now under former Cavie celebrity Michael Gaines.  Scott has always been a friend, a humble and dedicated person who has helped out many corps quietly along tour.  Now DCI rightly returns the favor and honors him as DCI Volunteer of the year.

It is of such greats in all our corps which makes our activity the wonder that it is. Thank you for all you have done and all you do.  

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 5

It’s nice to get a new perspective on two men who made a large impact on the corps while I was marching. Adolph did a lot for the corps and the cadet corps and his kids and grand kids have all had a positive impact. Scott did so much for transportation, you’d see him every camp getting the truck to Rosemont school working on the interior etc.

Two great men that have left a lasting impact on the corps. Splooie brothers.

• Like 2

I have to admit, a couple of nights ago I only got 2 hours of sleep because I am too freaking exciting for the shows next weekend. I really am like a 10 year old waiting for it to be Christmas morning. 

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 3