The Cavaliers 2018, 70 years of excellence

2 hours ago, dureau said:

Well  I have seen the show and it’s  nothing, in my view, like you described. In fact, I believe it’s the best I’ve ever personally seen live that was performed by the cavaliers except Mad World. It was probably the weather and lack of uniforms that ruined it for you. 

Hope so. Like I said, I’m following along for the Texas tour. As far as my issues with design the GE scores don’t seem to be there, so there’s obviously something that needs to be done. This also is probably my favorite show from them since Mad World as well, just  hoping they can take it to next level with some tweaks.

Edited by GREENBLUE

9 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Sooooooo.....

here we go.

Okay. I’m a big Cavaliers supporter and defender and homer.

But...just got to hotel from the Denton show, and have to say I’m kind of bummed about the night.

of course the elements played the biggest factor on tonight’s performance.

-no uniforms, hence no costume changes. No effect.

-kids practiced all day in the heat, so the performance was tired (not their fault)

-Denton is one of those weird stadiums where the drum major is in the stands and the speakers produce no sound. Couldn’t hear any of the effects nor front ensemble cause the sound basically hits a brick wall.

-no tarps

-because of wind, no major guard exchanges and I’d say at least 15 drops.

Again, not the corps fault but nonetheless disappointing for my first live viewing of the season.

Now that I’ve seen it live, let’s talk design.

-the ending (last minute) does absolutely nothing to engage the crowd or bring them to their feet. I’m hoping they have something up their sleeve.

- the big cages need some color or painted black or something  but right now visually they’re not fitting the color palate of the show. Before or after the creativity section. The turf green bottom with natural wood paneling is blah.

- the change from “madness” to “creativity” needs more of a transition. Right now the concept of madness leading to creativity is getting lost. I think that’s why people are getting confused by the “oh what a world section”. 

-think the first half of the show is fantastic but second half has some design issues and needs some rethinking. Not quite sure how Vanishing Act leads into Oh What A World. 

Have three more shows this weekend hoping for the best!!!

GREENBLUE has more criticisms about a Cavies show than Cappybara does?? Apocalypse I tell you

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dureau said:

Well  I have seen the show and it’s  nothing, in my view, like you described. In fact, I believe it’s the best I’ve ever personally seen live that was performed by the cavaliers except Mad World. It was probably the weather and lack of uniforms that ruined it for you. 

Yes. Totally agree. Cavies show is one the big reasons we're going to Massillon. LOVE this show!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

Hope so. Like I said, I’m following along for the Texas tour. As far as my issues with design the GE scores don’t seem to be there, so there’s obviously something that needs to be done. This also is probably my favorite show from them since Mad World as well, just  hoping they can take it to next level with some tweaks.

Well, Houston.... I mean, Katy welcomes you! Let's hope for the best!

• Like 1

Opinion improved after last night. Much better then the Denton show. Amazing how much uniforms add to the effect, really is incredible. Guard again had a rough run, not as many drops as Thursday night but still quite a few. Love the difficult tosses during the big moments, especially the opening hit but I’ve yet to see it clean this season, always a drop. It really does take away from that big opening moment. Instead of over the shoulder catch maybe simplify and clean it as to not ruin the moment. Sometime less is more. Again no tarps last night. Electronic sound was better but still not great, some effects were lost in the stands creating down moments in the music. Few drill sets that really need to be cleaned up and seems like the same spots with each viewing. Ending felt better with costumes, but still missing something. Like I previously mentioned feel like the whole “what a world” section needs something to really bring the crowd to it’s feet. Think the gap between Cavies and Crown should be much closer (maybe .5ish) but agree with placement. Order of performance might have had something to do with it also.

3 hours ago, Forevergreen said:

5th place guard in Houston. Was it a bad run ?  The Torch..

I like the show a lot. But was a bit bummed last night in Katy. The guard was off, and they carry such visual weight for The Cavies.  While the show was good, I thought it was a noticeable step down from the big three. Those final nuanced flag colors don’t carry the synch effect as well as the all-yellow ones did in the first couple of weeks of the tour.

Bummed but not out. Hoping it’s spectacular tonight in the Alamo Dome.

Still the best looking corps of the tour, costume-wise. The classiest in the field presence.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I like the show a lot. But was a bit bummed last night in Katy. The guard was off, and they carry such visual weight for The Cavies.  While the show was good, I thought it was a noticeable step down from the big three. Those final nuanced flag colors don’t carry the synch effect as well as the all-yellow ones did in the first couple of weeks of the tour.

Bummed but not out. Hoping it’s spectacular tonight in the Alamo Dome.

Still the best looking corps of the tour, costume-wise. The classiest in the field presence.

Agreed on all points

• Like 1