Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

Posted in the Stars 2018 but most won't check it out. From Shapiro facebook page.  He's been posting about Stars alot this season and it really hope it isn't a burning himself out on the road type of deal. If it is I hope he stays and does a reduced caption. He has brought in so many past alums to teach that I'm sure they can run it during the summer giving him more breaks. Will be a sad day for Stars alum if he does leave. He was part of the design that brought the team back. 

IND > LAS ... already missing the Blue Stars... so many difficult decisions ahead :-/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Posted in the Stars 2018 but most won't check it out. From Shapiro facebook page.  He's been posting about Stars alot this season and it really hope it isn't a burning himself out on the road type of deal. If it is I hope he stays and does a reduced caption. He has brought in so many past alums to teach that I'm sure they can run it during the summer giving him more breaks. Will be a sad day for Stars alum if he does leave. He was part of the design that brought the team back. 

IND > LAS ... already missing the Blue Stars... so many difficult decisions ahead :-/

I would read very little into this. I suspect he will be with BS next year but if he did leave Blue Stars he would be leaving Drum corps.  He certainly would not be headed anywhere else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

One early step off on finals night doesn't mean they have an institutional problem.

Bluecoats have a style and direction that focuses on individualized live performance, and showing emotion. It's what got them where they now are. They don't need to change anything related to teaching cleanliness. If they want to win more gold medals, which may or may not matter to them, they are going to have to design shows that make it easier for judges to give them a nod and a wink, like Crown and BD do. It's a show design issue. 

I watched Tilt last week and it shocked me how conservative that show design was. It was much more Carolina Crown than anything else. It bore almost no resemblance at all to what they have put on the field for the past three seasons. 

Bluecoats  may not care, as they are probably having trouble counting all their souvenir cash this morning. But if they do want to win another gold, there is no question in my mind they will have to copy what Blue Devils does as far as marching (not much, but what you do you design as a cleanliness showpiece) and more staged ensembles that act as difficulty auditions.

Again I don't know that these guys care, in the end, to change their show design philosophy to win a medal.

One early step off doesn't mean anything at all, but the past two years Bloo has really lacked in visual cleanliness. That championship show of theirs was one of the dirtiest visual shows I've ever seen win. BD also takes a very individualized performance approach, but the difference is that their technique is still consistent from person to person. This is still a precision activity and even when members are doing their own thing, it should look uniform. A "controlled individuality" so to speak. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

One early step off doesn't mean anything at all, but the past two years Bloo has really lacked in visual cleanliness. That championship show of theirs was one of the dirtiest visual shows I've ever seen win. BD also takes a very individualized performance approach, but the difference is that their technique is still consistent from person to person. This is still a precision activity and even when members are doing their own thing, it should look uniform. A "controlled individuality" so to speak. 

The segmented show concept is, sadly, the way things are likely to go. Bluecoats are already there in many ways, and were roundly criticized for it beginning with NoisE.

Shows will be more of a long series of difficulty showcases, in which if you are showcasing marching you're not playing, and if you're showcasing playing you're not marching. Connected by "jazz running," so as to not expose dirty lines and feet.

If that's the way dci corps want it, then that's fine by me, I love playing over marching any day. But I think it puts to end any idea that somehow it should be more important to do both at the same time. If judges are comparing apples to oranges, then everyone better have apples and oranges completely separated.

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

The segmented show concept is, sadly, the way things are likely to go. Bluecoats are already there in many ways, and were roundly criticized for it beginning with NoisE.

Shows will be more of a long series of difficulty showcases, in which if you are showcasing marching you're not playing, and if you're showcasing playing you're not marching. Connected by "jazz running," so as to not expose dirty lines and feet.

If that's the way dci corps want it, then that's fine by me, I love playing over marching any day. But I think it puts to end any idea that somehow it should be more important to do both at the same time. If judges are comparing apples to oranges, then everyone better have apples and oranges completely separated.

I am quite confused about where you're going with this and how you got to this point from my post. Could you please explain? 

1 hour ago, Tony Flores said:

Hopkins, on his FB Live, just confirmed that no one cannot annouce staff changes until the Tuesday after Labor Day

Cue everyone scanning their social media and corps websites for announcements from dawn to end of day.

4 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

Whether or not C2 remains an active corps after this season? (My guess as of today is no.)

So the cat is already out of the bag. 

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

One early step off on finals night doesn't mean they have an institutional problem.

Bluecoats have a style and direction that focuses on individualized live performance, and showing emotion. It's what got them where they now are. They don't need to change anything related to teaching cleanliness. If they want to win more gold medals, which may or may not matter to them, they are going to have to design shows that make it easier for judges to give them a nod and a wink, like Crown and BD do. It's a show design issue. 

I watched Tilt last week and it shocked me how conservative that show design was. It was much more Carolina Crown than anything else. It bore almost no resemblance at all to what they have put on the field for the past three seasons. 

Bluecoats  may not care, as they are probably having trouble counting all their souvenir cash this morning. But if they do want to win another gold, there is no question in my mind they will have to copy what Blue Devils does as far as marching (not much, but what you do you design as a cleanliness showpiece) and more staged ensembles that act as difficulty auditions.

Again I don't know that these guys care, in the end, to change their show design philosophy to win a medal.

Nailed it, on all counts. I hope they don't change a thing except find a legion of people to manage props so that members don't have their souls sucked from them. 

• Like 6