Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

I feel BD's creative staffs approach/formula to designing their shows has not changed since 2008. Result? Shows that feel, sound and look a lot a like. Sure during those 10 years (2008  2017) there have been a few shifts but by and large their has been a lot of sameness.  With their success, they should be taking mad chances on things. Bluecoats never won a title before and look at the mad chance they took in 2016.  So, again my hope is that the current creative BD staff steps down after their long run of success which will allow for some fresh people to replace the current to see if that might cause more of a change in course to show design.

BTW not to get in to playground games....you responded to my original message in a snarky fashion...so I just returned the favor....

To what end? BD's objective is to win and win their way.  Much as everyone else's yearly plan does.  The difference is they have a success rate at excelling that does not incentivize significant departures from their process which in fact offers a variety of show designs year to year.  Michael Boo wrote a great explanation of the approach Jay Murphy takes and it goes deeper than the most obvious movement of form.  They play with velocity, form integration between different elements and within elements when staging every aspect of individual and voice presentation.  What makes all that work and what allows them to be successful at such a high level is the quality of the MM's they get.  So much so they were able to have ensemble brass playing this year while moving to less than 4 minutes. They are masters of the sheets and understand what works each year with few misses.

in the spirit of your "game" I wasn't being snarky, I was trying to be funny; sarcastic.  You were trying to be snarky, just to be snarky.

so to be clear; my meaning is that BD has no reason to change what works for them.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

If the Crown brass team goes anywhere, I'd like to see them go to a corps who has never won before and has shown some promise in recent years. Their mere presence on the staff of a corps like that could draw even more top design talent and it could make a real difference and spice things up in the DCI competitive arena in a big way.

(There's a certain finalist corps based in Texas who is dying for such an infusion of top shelf staff talent IMO. That would be a hoot!)

Harloff to Crossmen would be GOLD, but I like Markworth a lot there, and I don't see them pushing him out for Klesch. 

8 hours ago, hostrauser said:

My understanding (from an "off-the-record" conversation with a YEA! staffer) is that The Cadets would have gone under years ago if not for their USBands cash cow. Their marching band circuit is basically carrying every other part of the organization.

Now, I have ALSO heard a rumor from people in the band world on the eastern seaboard that USBands has started pulling a few shenanigans and there are rumblings of discontent about what they are doing and who is responsible.

Which leads me to the speculation that IF George Hopkins is out at YEA!, it will be not because of his recent mishandling of The Cadets but rather (ironically) his recent mishandling of USBands.

Purely hypothetical scenario pondering, mind you.

USBands is bonkers. George typically judges GE himself at Nationals every year. I'm glad the new school I'm teaching at this year sticks to Cavalcade and doesn't have to deal with the insanity USBands has to offer.

• Like 3

I talked to, well, crown's event/promotion guy's son... which is a weak link but a link nonetheless, and he said there's absolutely no way Klesch or Harloff are leaving. Take it with a few grains of salt, but more than one.

45 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

that and any holes will suddenly be filled and a whole bunch of local Cadets are signing on to help - they will surge. I do think it is a "Bucs" year but I'm quite confident in that C2 team and their DCA cred

There have been fewer "after DCI" holes for C2 since Rich came on board in 2015. A good thing for them.

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

There have been fewer "after DCI" holes for C2 since Rich came on board in 2015. A good thing for them.

Yup I know. Hence the "if there are any" 

C2 will most likely close the gap.... whether they close it all the way remains to be seen.

IMO, the Buccaneers went a bit stale at the end last season and left the door open... and the Sunday before Labor Day weekend, the day after the last regular-season show, talk about "staff merry-go-round" with them... LOL.

C2 peaked at the best time and walked right on through that door.

Two things in the Bucs' favor this year... no "merry-go-round" issues that I know of, and the Gino Factor for the home stretch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Yup I know. Hence the "if there are any" 

Definitely in their favor to add just a couple of folks, instead of having to get a dozen or so up to speed, as in their early DCA days.

33 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

To what end? BD's objective is to win and win their way.  Much as everyone else's yearly plan does.  The difference is they have a success rate at excelling that does not incentivize significant departures from their process which in fact offers a variety of show designs year to year.  Michael Boo wrote a great explanation of the approach Jay Murphy takes and it goes deeper than the most obvious movement of form.  They play with velocity, form integration between different elements and within elements when staging every aspect of individual and voice presentation.  What makes all that work and what allows them to be successful at such a high level is the quality of the MM's they get.  So much so they were able to have ensemble brass playing this year while moving to less than 4 minutes. They are masters of the sheets and understand what works each year with few misses.

in the spirit of your "game" I wasn't being snarky, I was trying to be funny; sarcastic.  You were trying to be snarky, just to be snarky.

so to be clear; my meaning is that BD has no reason to change what works for them.  

What if DCI were to put more reward on marching/playing. This isn't concert band, it's still marching band ?