Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

8 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

To hell with that Russian pawn. 

GH is Russian ?

8 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Meanwhile, it spins you round like a record baby round round round round.

As an aside, how about someone putting this on the field?  Show theme, one hit wonders of the internet!  The original video even has guard work with gold flags.

54 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Good! Let's see it. They were pretty wonderful at it in the 1994-2004 period. 2007 and 2008 were pretty good, too. And hey, 2005 wasn't that bad musically, either.

My issues with the sheets in relation to BD's style aren't usually that they play to the sheets and should change the sheets so they don't win...but drum corps is a spectator sport. I'd much prefer the sheets be tweaked to reward things that are more entertaining, and have BD max out on those. Which, to be fair, they've done quite well on the being-more-generally-entertaining thing since the new sheets went into effect.

I'm not saying everything has to be least-common-denominator pablum. But...well, the Blue Devils in 2010 performed Stan Kenton's City of Glass live more times than Kenton's band ever did. There's a reason for that. (And the fact that I have to go back 7 years to think of that example is a good thing.)

In general, I'd like to see more simultaneous demand rewarded, and I'd prefer it to be stuff that's easily read on high cam (so, not of the bug-squishing variety, necessarily). Keep stopped down for things when necessary (I'm not expecting anyone to play Flight of the Bumblebee while marching), but play more on the move, too.

And that's true of everyone, really. I think Bluecoats have this figured out the best of anyone currently, and I'm not sure they're even that great at it. Santa Clara marched a lot (which was wonderful to see), but didn't play as much on the move as they have in years past (they played a fair amount on the move in 2013 and 2014, from what I recall). But they also got rewarded for it this year, so...who knows.

Agree with all this! 

By the way, love that 2008 show. Quite a challenging visual program. It should've won imo, but I think emotion from Phantom's show took over that year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cube said:

I talked to, well, crown's event/promotion guy's son... which is a weak link but a link nonetheless, and he said there's absolutely no way Klesch or Harloff are leaving. Take it with a few grains of salt, but more than one.

I can confirm the rumor about them leaving for Cadets is 100% not true. Taking your post with a grain of salt, other destinations are still open.

Just now, Cappybara said:

Agree with all this! 

By the way, love that 2008 show. Quite a challenging visual program. It should've won imo, but I think emotion from Phantom's show took over that year. 

BD '08 was the first show I ever went to two drum corps shows in part so I could see that show a second time (both Dallas and Denton in '08, though Bluecoats was another big reason for wanting to do Denton, and Phantom was another big reason to want to do Dallas [especially since all my high school percussion instructors were Phantom/Rennick disciples). I spent most of the summer convinced it was going to break the high score record.

And I'm of two minds on whether it should have won. On the one hand, very challenging visual book, and they for the most part performed the snot out of it. Pretty great music book, too (though I daresay not as challenging as the visual book). On the other hand, that percussion finals run was filthy, and earned its fifth place spot. On the third hand, Phantom's visual was pretty filthy, too (the lack of Thompson drill showed, badly), but on the fourth hand, to some extent emotion and reaching the audience/paying customer should matter, right?

I end up glad Phantom won still, but if It had gone the other way, I don't think I could be too mad about it now (though I would have been hopping mad at the time--I spent half my band camp free time that August trying to teach myself the marimba parts in the ballad by ear).

Similar deal with 2015, actually. I would have been totally ok with either corps winning that year.

1 minute ago, brassdude6171 said:

I can confirm the rumor about them leaving for Cadets is 100% not true. Taking your post with a grain of salt, other destinations are still open.

They aren't leaving Crown.  My link is very strong.  100%. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

They aren't leaving Crown.  

I mean, probably not. But if I squinted at it really really hard and maybe tilted my head a little and held my thumb just right, I could see a Klesch to Boston move. Not that I'd agree with it, I could just conceive of it.

(Note: this is not *just* wishful thinking to see what it would be like if Harloff and Prime teamed up. But it's mostly wishful thinking to see what would happen if Harloff and Prime teamed up.)

3 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

I mean, probably not. But if I squinted at it really really hard and maybe tilted my head a little and held my thumb just right, I could see a Klesch to Boston move. Not that I'd agree with it, I could just conceive of it.

(Note: this is not *just* wishful thinking to see what it would be like if Harloff and Prime teamed up. But it's mostly wishful thinking to see what would happen if Harloff and Prime teamed up.)

Trust me.  They aren't leaving Crown. 

• Like 4