Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

9 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Dumb question here, perhaps...

But why the Labor Day line of demarcation here?

Is it out of courtesy to DCA, whose season is still going through Labor Day weekend (so as to not take away any focus on that... not that many DCI directors have any awareness of DCA... LOL) , or just an arbitrary date selected by the DCI directors?

Also, Hopkins is taking credit for coming up with this rule, and he is the one director that is absolutely aware of DCA. In that sense, the math checks out. 

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I'd assume it's because it gives everyone a little time to talk to each other after Finals week and, in cases where someone's leaving or being replaced, time for the corps to line up a replacement before DCP blows up like it did last year. :lle: 

One would have to think the changes affecting three corps was not your typical post DCI season staff switches.

11 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Also, Hopkins is taking credit for coming up with this rule, and he is the one director that is absolutely aware of DCA. In that sense, the math checks out. 

That does make perfect sense if that's the case!!!

16 minutes ago, Ghost said:

One would have to think the changes affecting three corps was not your typical post DCI season staff switches.

The DCI Corps Directors seemed to come to an agreement with holding off on public announcements until at least Labor Day. The reasons for the delay probably were multi faceted ( you gave one that seems probable to me too) and they all agreed to the delay it seems. So they're entitled to it, imo. Its almost Labor Day now anyway.

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The DCI Corps Directors seemed to come to an agreement with holding off on public announcements until at least Labor Day. The reasons for the delay probably were multi faceted ( you gave one that seems probable to me too) and they all agreed to the delay it seems. So they're entitled to it, imo. Its almost Labor Day now anyway.

I know at least one didn't agree to the delay. ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barneveld said:

I know at least one didn't agree to the delay. ;)

Don't tease us.... who ?

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Dumb question here, perhaps...

But why the Labor Day line of demarcation here?

Is it out of courtesy to DCA, whose season is still going through Labor Day weekend (so as to not take away any focus on that... not that many DCI directors have any awareness of DCA... LOL) , or just an arbitrary date selected by the DCI directors?

It seems most DCI rumors are whispered in Atlanta, shared pretty freely in Allentown by folks who either heard it in Atlanta or heard it started in Atlanta, and by DCI, flying everywhere. My thought, a later date, perhaps October would have been preferred, but it was known things would not be contained after DCA, so Labor Day became the date. Just speculation, but it makes sense.

Labor Day sounds like a good time to choose regardless of the DCA angle.  Besides giving corps time to adjust to whatever changes they are making or being thrust upon them by exiting staff, it give the drum corps community (members, fans) time to just sit back and cherish the season that just ended before the merry-go-round starts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I'd assume it's because it gives everyone a little time to talk to each other after Finals week and, in cases where someone's leaving or being replaced, time for the corps to line up a replacement before DCP blows up like it did last year. :lle: 

Are discussion on DCP that meaningful to corps decision makers? (Or was this sarcasm I missed?)

It doesn't matter where different staff members go!  I reserved my hotel room for Allentown next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3