Carolina Crown 2018

My fingers are crossed that we see a return of the 2012/2016 Crown, not the 2014/2017. 

Biggest thing on my wishlist:

please please please stop with the "hey look how fast I can play, and look I can quadruple tongue at the same time too.. oh wait this is starting to sound like an on-field warm up so let's play a really loud chord to get the audience riled up" type of arrangements. 

Crown brass is phenomenal. But when they do these type of arrangements, they lose their shine and sound robotic. Runs and double tonguing are awesome, but they have their place, and every other line of music is not it. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Crown brass is phenomenal. But when they do these type of arrangements, they lose their shine and sound robotic.

They also win Jim Ott Awards with regularity and put the corps in a position to succeed. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, MotoSurfBass said:

They also win Jim Ott Awards with regularity and put the corps in a position to succeed. 

No doubt. This is just my personal wishlist. 2016 was not bad in this respect, but I've been finding Crown's arrangements more and more tiresome to listen to after their championship season. 

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

My fingers are crossed that we see a return of the 2012/2016 Crown, not the 2014/2017. 

Biggest thing on my wishlist:

please please please stop with the "hey look how fast I can play, and look I can quadruple tongue at the same time too.. oh wait this is starting to sound like an on-field warm up so let's play a really loud chord to get the audience riled up" type of arrangements. 

Crown brass is phenomenal. But when they do these type of arrangements, they lose their shine and sound robotic. Runs and double tonguing are awesome, but they have their place, and every other line of music is not it. 

I dunno, I find those moments where the brass just run their fingers off to be some of the most exciting moments, especially when they lock in timing wise.

• Like 5

Just now, cube said:

I dunno, I find those moments where the brass just run their fingers off to be some of the most exciting moments, especially when they lock in timing wise.

Different strokes :) 

Me, I miss 2007-2012 Crown that prioritized musicality over showing off their technical muscle. Seeing that they won a few Otts in that time period, I don't see why they couldn't go back to that style. 

• Like 2

Just now, Cappybara said:

Different strokes :) 

Me, I miss 2007-2012 Crown that prioritized musicality over showing off their technical muscle. Seeing that they won a few Otts in that time period, I don't see why they couldn't go back to that style. 

Trust me, I love musicality, and would love to see a Crown show full of it. But no one really does technical passages quite like Crown. They are truly unique.