Carolina Crown 2018

Just now, cube said:

Trust me, I love musicality, and would love to see a Crown show full of it. But no one really does technical passages quite like Crown. They are truly unique.

No one does it to the extent that they do either, which I find to be detrimental, but that is where we fundamentally disagree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

No one does it to the extent that they do either, which I find to be detrimental, but that is where we fundamentally disagree. 

Where their brass is concerned, they need to keep doing exactly what they are doing. 

If you find their style or sound detrimental, that's fine.  There's always someone that doesn't like everything. 

Edited by wigwam
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, wigwam said:

Where their brass is concerned, they need to keep doing exactly what they are doing. 

If you find their style or sound detrimental, that's fine.  There's always someone that doesn't like everything. 

Valid point. However as I mentioned before, Crown has been equally successful with both approaches (3 Otts apiece), and I simply prefer their old approach to their new one. 

I really liked the 2017 Crown Percussion book writing this year... so hopefully more of the same for 2018 with a really hip battery feature.  

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

My fingers are crossed that we see a return of the 2012/2016 Crown, not the 2014/2017. 

Biggest thing on my wishlist:

please please please stop with the "hey look how fast I can play, and look I can quadruple tongue at the same time too.. oh wait this is starting to sound like an on-field warm up so let's play a really loud chord to get the audience riled up" type of arrangements. 

Crown brass is phenomenal. But when they do these type of arrangements, they lose their shine and sound robotic. Runs and double tonguing are awesome, but they have their place, and every other line of music is not it. 

you might get your wish - stay tuned.

• Like 1

I'm not a percussion guy but I'm still happy at the direction the percussion is going on the sheets. Their percussion was a huge weakness just two years ago.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

you might get your wish - stay tuned.

If it's what I think it is, I'll be a bit sad, and maybe a bit nervous not only for Crown but also one other corps I will not name.

Thom and Jim, please give us another percussion book like this years! 

1 minute ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

If it's what I think it is, I'll be a bit sad, and maybe a bit nervous not only for Crown but also one other corps I will not name.

What do you think it is?