Carolina Crown 2018

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

you might get your wish - stay tuned.

So Jeff's considering going back to Allentown, then? (/baseless speculation that has no basis on what George actually said; I just felt like launching baseless speculation)

Edited by ftwdrummer

1 minute ago, ftwdrummer said:

So Jeff's considering going back to Allentown, then? (/baseless speculation)

I didn't say that. He was talking about music arrangements I think.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cube said:

Hopefully this... occurence... deters the rest of dci from featuring vocalists.

I don't know if it will be the incident that keeps corps away from using vocals. Some used vocals this year and the quality was consistent and pleasing for the most part. I realize a lot of that depends on your take and taste for vocals in drum corps.  Boston had a wonderful singer, and the Cadets choral octet was amazing.  I think for Cadets having them up front and in the pit helped because they could use wired mics (not wireless). There were a few instances of them using wireless, but mostly they used wired. Wired mics simply work better because you are not transmitting the audio over the airwaves, but instead through analog cable straight to a mixer or to a pre-amp and then a mixer. Wired mics are typically larger, better constructed, and some are powered by the mixer itself and not via battery.  Wireless mics have to be powered via batteries, and sometimes that can be a problem. 

I don't know what happened to that mic for Crown, but those kids put on a clinic in performance this year. They were clearly one of the top 3 corps in the field, even with the mic malfunction. If they do ever use voice again I can imagine their staff will look into every possible option to get it right. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I didn't say that. He was talking about music arrangements I think.

I know you didn't say it. That's why I put the "baseless speculation" tag there.

But you're right.

Hmm...I may start a baseless speculation thread just to see what stuff people come up with.

Edited by ftwdrummer

Just now, ftwdrummer said:

I know you didn't say it. That's why I put the "baseless speculation" tag there.

But you're right.

Hmm...I may start a baseless speculation thread just to see what stuff people come up with.

Just to be clear i was responding a comment about "unnecessary runs in the brass book" and I said "you might get your wish"

And then you supposed that the drill writer may be leaving for Cadets

I wasn't speculating anything other than they might have less runs in the brass next year

Just now, George Dixon said:

Just to be clear i was responding a comment about "unnecessary runs in the brass book" and I said "you might get your wish"

And then you supposed that the drill writer may be leaving for Cadets

I wasn't speculating anything other than they might have less runs in the brass next year

Yes. That is correct. I just used your comment as a launching point for other things entirely. Which I'm now going back and clarifying.

• Like 1

Hopefully all the staff stays intact with a better, more straightforward design next year that incorporates less electronic reliance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

If it's what I think it is, I'll be a bit sad, and maybe a bit nervous not only for Crown but also one other corps I will not name.

Spill the beans please, it's not nice to tease animals at the zoo.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

If it's what I think it is, I'll be a bit sad, and maybe a bit nervous not only for Crown but also one other corps I will not name.

Would that be a former World Class Finalist whose name begins with an A?

• Like 1