Carolina Crown 2018

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

I thought 2012 was more show-offy and sterile than 2013.

Relatively speaking, I mean. I like Crown '12 more than enough to still go back and forth in my mind as to whether Crown or BD should have won. (I have no doubt about Crown deserving their '13 win. With SCV in second and BD and Cadets tussling for third.)

Funny how two people can look at a musical piece and perceive them in very different ways! Off topic but I wonder if there's any research that's been done on this subject? 

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

I was too busy to keep up with announcements this spring, but I assume someone brought up Drumline the moment BD mentioned "Flight of the Bumblebee".

This needs to go in the one liners thread.  And yes, drumline references were slung left and right.

• Like 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

Funny how two people can look at a musical piece and perceive them in very different ways! Off topic but I wonder if there's any research that's been done on this subject? 

That might be interesting to read. I am reminded slightly of studies about whether certain languages or sounds are universally more aesthetically pleasing than others. (Based on a few secondhand reports, I gather the answer is no to languages--culture apparently plays a huge role in coloring a person's appreciation for languages--but yes to some sounds.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BoaDci said:

This needs to go in the one liners thread.  And yes, drumline references were slung left and right.

A couple years ago, when I posted a short drum corps clip to a forum for an entirely different subject, the first reply was, "But can they play 'Flight of the Bumblebee'?" I hadn't seen Drumline and so didn't catch the reference.

• Like 1

Once again, certain DCP hacks had Crowns placement and success wrong for the sixth year in a row.  

AND for the 6th year in a row, I laugh and laugh at their ignorance and complete lack of knowledge about Crown and the activity as a whole.  

Congrats to all of the participating corps and their members for a wonderful 2017

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Mm I agree and disagree. I do agree that they perform it so well that it sounds robotic. BUT part of the reason for that IS the arrangements. Crown 2012 had one of the greatest hornlines, and definitely the best of that year, but they never sounded robotic. That's because they were playing music that was technically challenging but was also melodically sound. The technical moments flowed with the music rather than being abruptly interjected.

Think back to 2013 when Crown formed a big line and performed that long run up and down the line. It was impressive, yes. But, how did that make any sense with what was being played before and after? It was done to flex some technical muscle -- an overt self-pat on the back -- but it made no sense.

And since that year, Crown's been doing it a little too often. They did it in their 2014 closer (though they ended up watering it down because it was too difficult with the drill), they did it in Dies Irae in 2015 mid season, and they did it a few times in their 2017 production. I found the 2016 technical passages to be a bit more tasteful. 

I want to see a return to the pre-2013 type of arranging that made Crown famous, and it does not look like I'm alone on this. 

So, essentially be like everyone else and do nothing to differentiate yourself in brass from anyone else.  

IYou are going to need to explain why playing almost technically perfect runs need to be curtailed? While were at It, let's just mic 12 members of the brass line or stand there and play layered whole notes for only 3 1/2 minutes.

Nah.  Crown is in a league of their own in brass and it is a comfortable place to be.  Young people come to Crown Brass each summer to be challenged in just the way you believe should be changed. 

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

I hope they don't lose their arranger or brass lead.  To me, they are responsible for the signature Crown sound and would be a huge loss. While the song choices may not have been everyone's favorite, there is no question they created masterpieces out of the source music. 

4 hours ago, Tone Quality Matters said:

So, essentially be like everyone else and do nothing to differentiate yourself in brass from anyone else.  

IYou are going to need to explain why playing almost technically perfect runs need to be curtailed? While were at It, let's just mic 12 members of the brass line or stand there and play layered whole notes for only 3 1/2 minutes.

Nah.  Crown is in a league of their own in brass and it is a comfortable place to be.  Young people come to Crown Brass each summer to be challenged in just the way you believe should be changed. 

I think it needs to be curtailed to protect melodic integrity and flow. As simple as that. 

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think it needs to be curtailed to protect melodic integrity and flow. As simple as that. 

Ironically, Mike Klesch is known for being a staunch supporter for staying as truthful to the original composition as is humanly possible. However, flexing your muscle from time to time is also part of the game and he knows that, too. Especially if you've got talent like that. I can't begrudge them that.

By and large, Crown's arrangements are still arguably the most musical and respectful to the originals in the activity. No small feat these days when most arrangements of other corps sound like they were created in a Cuisinart! 

• Like 4