Carolina Crown 2018

Gonna stretch the metaphor a bit, but is it possible they considered splitting the baby? Bad guy gets the drop on our hero at the end, but at the penultimate moment the gal pops out of Helen and shoots the miscreant, which in turn saves the good guy.

Justice with perhaps a more acceptable/justifiable homicide?

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I complain about gun violence in general. We have a serious issue, it shouldn't be easier to obtain a gun than it is to obtain a voter ID card. 

Kudos to the Crown team for sending the right message, end gun violence. 

I think that's why I was able to enjoy both endings. I understood that Crown was sending a message and I was ok with that. I also actually enjoyed the hallelujah reprise in the new ending unlike a lot of others, it was very well played. I also thought the guard work in the new ending was really well done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I complain about gun violence in general. We have a serious issue, it shouldn't be easier to obtain a gun than it is to obtain a voter ID card. 

Kudos to the Crown team for sending the right message, end gun violence. 

reported.... political issues are disllowed on DCP according to the DCP guidelines. Its a slippery slop if we begin to permit political comments/ discussions on 2nd Amendment Rights, Firearm laws, Voter ID laws,. " Gun violence ", and yada yada yada  and other hot button political issues of the day on here.

Edited by BRASSO

This is another reason political messages don't belong in drum corps shows.  You can't discuss the design choices without running afoul of the community guidelines.

BTW I'm not picking on Crown here.  They are one of my absolute favorite corps of all time.  Their own rationale for changing the ending may have been to support a message of mercy over revenge. Or maybe they wanted to offend as few people as possible, which is understandable.

My strong suspicion, however, was always that many people who wanted to get rid of the old ending were motivated by political reasons and not by mercy.  And I was just pointing out that the fact thar no one seemed to object to Boston's ending seems like strong evidence to support that hypothesis.  

49 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

reported.... political issues are disllowed on DCP according to the DCP guidelines. Its a slippery slop if we begin to permit political comments/ discussions on 2nd Amendment Rights, Firearm laws, Voter ID laws,. " Gun violence ", and yada yada yada  and other hot button political issues of the day on here.

colbert_thumbs_up.gif

20 minutes ago, skevinp said:

This is another reason political messages don't belong in drum corps shows.  You can't discuss the design choices without running afoul of the community guidelines.

I don't disagree. While I do like drum corps shows having deeper and bigger messages, they don't need to be political in nature to be enjoyable or valuable. In fact, they're probably better when they aren't political so that it doesn't offend anyone at all as exhibited by my friend brasso above ^ 

26 minutes ago, skevinp said:

My strong suspicion, however, was always that many people who wanted to get rid of the old ending were motivated by political reasons and not by mercy.  And I was just pointing out that the fact thar no one seemed to object to Boston's ending seems like strong evidence to support that hypothesis.  

I wouldn't have been upset if Crown kept their old ending BUT I don't deny enjoying the new ending much more because of the political message it relayed, so you are right on your suspicion in my case. For me personally, I don't object to Boston's ending because:

1. It's completely fictional: accused "witches" were never burned 

2. It is not insensitive to any current events that cause a lot of emotional turmoil for people personally affected by said current events. You can call that overly PC or whatever, but that's the way I see it. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2017 at 4:29 PM, Cappybara said:

Life is a lot more boring if things end the way they're supposed to :)

They should have had an audible "Sorry bro, my bad" from the killer and then just hugged it out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To me, issues of this nature are far too complex to gain any insight from a dci show.  About the most a show could do is introduce a new topic or generate new interest in a an existing one.  

Generally, a dci show is not an effective vehicle for engaging in discussion or making effective points about complex issues.  Any attempt to do so ends up looking like an over-simplistic bumper sticker and if I want to read those I can always go to a parking lot or Facebook.  

DCI shows are, to me, much better at capturing the emotion of a concept than drawing political conclusions about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

What about source music that is inherently political?

• Like 1