Carolina Crown 2018

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

And I was just pointing out that the fact thar no one seemed to object to Boston's ending seems like strong evidence to support that hypothesis.  

Boston's ending was based on a historical event...also what would the do with the fire if they didn't burn the witch? Make s'mores?

3 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Boston's ending was based on a historical event...also what would the do with the fire if they didn't burn the witch? Make s'mores?

If you think I was saying I objected to Boston's ending, you completely misunderstood my point. 

47 minutes ago, skevinp said:

If you think I was saying I objected to Boston's ending, you completely misunderstood my point. 

Not at all I just don't think it completely relates to the original Crown ending last year. 

I see 2010 and 2016 as revenge shows after getting 2nd place and in the end they decided not to kill the guy after all. 

Propaganda was far more political.

I found a comment on YouTube that explains the change from an mm's perspective. "No, they actually did explain it to us. After the Pulse shooting in Florida that occurred earlier that summer along with all the other shootings in the news, the design staff decided that more gun violence really wasn't the solution to anything, so they changed it. Michael Klesch, who arranges the brass book, said that if his son was marching this show or even watching the show, he would want him to take away from it that love and mercy is the answer; not violence. While the new ending isn't nearly as cathartic as the old one, I do believe it was the most mature route to go and I respect the design team a lot for it, even if it may have locked us into 3rd place. I don't think it's fair at all to place all the blame on the percussion for our results."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cube said:

I found a comment on YouTube that explains the change from an mm's perspective. "No, they actually did explain it to us. After the Pulse shooting in Florida that occurred earlier that summer along with all the other shootings in the news, the design staff decided that more gun violence really wasn't the solution to anything, so they changed it. Michael Klesch, who arranges the brass book, said that if his son was marching this show or even watching the show, he would want him to take away from it that love and mercy is the answer; not violence. While the new ending isn't nearly as cathartic as the old one, I do believe it was the most mature route to go and I respect the design team a lot for it, even if it may have locked us into 3rd place. I don't think it's fair at all to place all the blame on the percussion for our results."

Good explanation although for me hard to say the ending truly did lock them into 3rd... to me it was still about the percussion book writing.  The book writing over the last few years in terms of gaining points to break into a higher placement is still been a "negative" scoring impact (meaning the higher corps above them really are not losing much if anything or flat out gaining on Crown).   And Crown's Brass can't absorb the scoring drag. 

Perfect example is this year... best book writing and execution for Crown in my opinion since 2009.  But it still is not enough on Finals Night to overcome SCV's or BD's line.  The reason is the percussion books over the last few years have always favored the overall music book and not put in percussion notes just to have notes.  Hard not to not applaud that.  But in terms of a on field percussion judge....(listen to this year's finals tape)... Crown was clean but just didn't have a feature worthy of scoring them higher. (and 2016 was no different in terms of the book). Simply the on-field judge wants something to say like "that was insanely hard and incredibly executed...I don't know how you did that....blah blah blah."  Hopefully Crown adds something for 2018 to feature the talent. 

"We’re not going to confirm or deny anything… but you may want to keep an eye on our social media sites and website on Friday #Crown2018" - Twitter feed today.

1 hour ago, turntpapa said:

"We’re not going to confirm or deny anything… but you may want to keep an eye on our social media sites and website on Friday #Crown2018" - Twitter feed today.

Fundraiser?  LOL!

• Like 1

On August 12, 2017 at 11:10 PM, cube said:

Hopefully no singing?

Crown is bringing the vocalist back to be featured in Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know."

• Like 1

Just now, Sideways said:

Crown is bringing the vocalist back to be featured in Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know."

As long as there are multiple "I KNOW YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" moments, I'm fine with it.

On 8/25/2017 at 6:39 PM, ThePlanets said:

No the beginning up until "Guilty" was the historical. The ending was creative liberty as has been discussed on the BAC thread ad nauseum. Now it's all ashes. 

Edited by xandandl