Carolina Crown 2018

4 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

In general, this is correct. Lower stick heights (softer individually) and unison playing is generally >>>> higher stick heights and slightly out of unison.

Then you get more intricate things, your splits across the snare line (e.g. have this roll be half-speed, but half the line is offset from each other such that it sounds like a full-speed roll), stick tricks/visuals.

Then there's the crazy #### BK does. BK's battery writing is different from basically anyone else--much more legato drumming than you usually hear (more roughs [two or three grace notes into the main note, in contrast to the single grace note of a flam], etc.).

If you listen to percussion enough, you can start to tell whose writing is whose. Legatos/roughs/etc. is going to be Mike Jackson's BK writing. Rennick's writing has a bit more "classic" feel to it, for lack of a better term. ScoJo writes like they're trying to ram as many notes down their gullet as possible. McNutt really likes flams. Etc.

I was a pit guy when I did corps-style things; others will probably be able to make clearer writing-style distinctions than I can (garfield?).

My lack of percussion knowledge is even making me question what I just read, because I didn't understand ANY of that... I've tried to understand and be able to read battery parts for 10 years now, and I still can't. I'll just stick with my brass/guitar/piano. Lol. 

5 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

In general, this is correct. Lower stick heights (softer individually) and unison playing is generally >>>> higher stick heights and slightly out of unison.

Then you get more intricate things, your splits across the snare line (e.g. have this roll be half-speed, but half the line is offset from each other such that it sounds like a full-speed roll), stick tricks/visuals.

Then there's the crazy #### BK does. BK's battery writing is different from basically anyone else--much more legato drumming than you usually hear (more roughs [two or three grace notes into the main note, in contrast to the single grace note of a flam], etc.).

If you listen to percussion enough, you can start to tell whose writing is whose. Legatos/roughs/etc. is going to be Mike Jackson's BK writing. Rennick's writing has a bit more "classic" feel to it, for lack of a better term. ScoJo writes like they're trying to ram as many notes down their gullet as possible. McNutt really likes flams. Etc.

I was a pit guy when I did corps-style things; others will probably be able to make clearer writing-style distinctions than I can (garfield?).

spot on. Hannum loves hand motion changes as often as possible. Aungst makes it feel like a ton of notes when it really isn't...Rarick goes for notes/groove and "what the #### was that" LOL

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Does anyone know who is coming up with these,for lack of a better word, anecdotes ?

Also,do they do this everyday ?

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Does anyone know who is coming up with these,for lack of a better word, anecdotes ?

Also,do they do this everyday ?

I suspect either admins or food crew. And yes, I think they try to come up with something new every day. (Watch them make me a liar!)

edit: The Wife confirms in years past it was the admins since they know the full schedule. 

Edited by CrownBariDad
Clarification

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 8:39 AM, ftwdrummer said:

McNutt really likes flams. Etc.

Does the "etc" include an excessive, abundant, bounteous and yet extremely substantial amount of paradiddles, double paradiddles, triple paradiddles and paradiddle-diddles? Lol!

6 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

I suspect either admins or food crew. And yes, I think they try to come up with something new every day. (Watch them make me a liar!)

edit: The Wife confirms in years past it was the admins since they know the full schedule. 

"Genius and insanity are divided by a thin membrane which is often porous."

(many claim to be the first to have said this.)

Edited by xandandl
  • Haha 1