Carolina Crown 2018

14 minutes ago, trumpetcam said:

Always funny that when Crown loses brass, they MUST have had an off night.. Or maybe there are other lines as good, or BETTER than them this season? Let’s give credit where it’s due, they aren’t the only great hornline in DCI after all. Heard BLOO and SCV lately??  I love me some Crown, but I expect a lot of brass caption flipping is going to happen the rest of the season. Not sure this show can pull into the top 3 as strong as SCV, BLOO and BD are already and NONE of them are clean yet. 

I'm sorry, but where did I say anything about Brass?

1 minute ago, karuna said:

Klesch's arranging style is very transparent.  It's easy to hear errors but #### it's impressive when it's all clean.  I've always thought Bloo's brass gets overlooked by many.  Along with BD IMO the 3 best lines in DCI year after year.  As for SCV, I haven't heard them live yet.  Last year the small ensemble was #### good.  The rest of the line -- who could tell?  

Rest assured, there's a reason they've been close with BD in brass. They are on FIRE this year. I personally think they have potential to take the Ott.

1 minute ago, karuna said:

Klesch's arranging style is very transparent.  It's easy to hear errors but #### it's impressive when it's all clean.  I've always thought Bloo's brass gets overlooked by many.  Along with BD IMO the 3 best lines in DCI year after year.  As for SCV, I haven't heard them live yet.  Last year the small ensemble was #### good.  The rest of the line -- who could tell?  

Agreed. The judges that hear denser Harmony and understand a variety of style challenges know how good Bloo plays. A lot of parity in judging ears as well, so no surprise it’s back and forth all season. Crown can “out clear” everyone when clean, but it’s whether they gets more credit than what BLOO, SCV or BD are doing this year that is the guessing game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I'm sorry, but where did I say anything about Brass?

Sorry, I tried to quote from your quote and it was left off. My apology!

You did mention them getting clean and I’m still not sure that it will matter in the end.

5 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Rest assured, there's a reason they've been close with BD in brass. They are on FIRE this year. I personally think they have potential to take the Ott.

I don't really trust video or early season scores.  Only live ears can really tell..  There are a few guys on youtube who make pretty good quality recordings in the lot.  And sometimes the Finals BluRays are decent.  

Why do we always have to slot corps in the middle of July? It's just silly to do because we all know the season can change over the course of a few practice days. Do BD, Bloo, and SCV have good shows? Yes, but that does not automatically put Crown at a disadvantage. Let's just see how the season plays out and enjoy it in the process. Nevertheless, this is going to be a dog fight come Finals week. I will add that having Bloo beat Crown by .3 in brass is odd, and that is why some people will claim that it was an off night, especially since Crown has been consistently beating Bloo in brass for a good portion of this season when they go head to head.

• Like 1

Just now, karuna said:

I don't really trust video or early season scores.  Only live ears can really tell..  There are a few guys on youtube who make pretty good quality recordings in the lot.  And sometimes the Finals BluRays are decent.  

Well the scores have at least been consistent in that caption between the two. Regardless, best sounding SCV hornline of the 2010's

Yup, ridiculous amount of good hornlines this year. Best Bloo line arguably ever and an amazing Vanguard one too. I wouldn't want to be the brass judge when everyone meets up.

45 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Once Crown starts cleaning I think they'll climb quick. They're considerably dirtier than Boston, but continue to outscore them by a hair. Once they clean and get consistent, this show will be hard to beat.

Why do posters make these comments?  Are they assuming other corps have stopped "cleaning", "layering", etc.  Are the staffs of these corps satisfied with their off season creations and have turned over to the techs the sections for the rest of the year?

18 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Why do we always have to slot corps in the middle of July? It's just silly to do because we all know the season can change over the course of a few practice days.  

Absolutely. We just saw earlier tonite the Colts turn the tables on the Madison Scouts and the Blue Stars turn the tables on Phantom Regiment... and with formerly bigger spread margins than Crown has above them in Bluecoats, or Boston behind them. AND... its barely a third of the way into the summer's competition season.,

• Like 1