Carolina Crown 2018

27 minutes ago, wigwam said:

I think they might represent the ribs of dead animals, maybe creatures the beast has eaten.  Anyway, I'm hoping they will do something cool with them as the season goes along. 

I saw them live in Orlando for the second time this year.  They seemed tired and lacking energy.  I think they will bounce back after some rest. 

Seems like the suggestions above are either rib, or teeth or claws.  Can't be all of those.  They all look  the same, but don't really look like teeth or claws or ribs.  Think about what a tooth looks like  compare it to the things on the field, nope.

Think about a claw, well maybe, but the base kinda defeats that idea.  Ribs, again what kind of animal (oops Beast) has a rib (or any other bone) that looks like that?  I'm confused, and am totally surprised that no one who knows has said definitively.  Someone designed and built them and they didn't think they were "just things".  Or I would not have thought so.

And I even get the "trees" that Boston has.  Maybe not jungle trees, but I never had a problem identifying them as trees.

This is a personal interpretation of the white horn props and potential story line, so take it for what its worth. When I first saw them they reminded me of the bones from rib cages from huge animals coming up from the ground, think of Scar's land in The Lion King. Notice in the opener they are coming out of them and at the first hit in Bruckner, the drill set has lines coming from each of the sets of bones and the teeter totter. Then throughout the rest of the opener there are several reiterations of the 4 or 3 grouped lines. I kind of take it as different "populations" of beasts from their respective "lands" coming together and fighting, ultimately forming a unified group of beasts? The females in the ballad showing that they can love and multiply, with the teeter totter representing a struggle to the top. Would be cool if this is what they are going for and had different colors for each group on the front apron part of the uniform. Just a shot in the dark :guinesssmilie:

5 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Is this the Crown forum or the Madison one!? Not used to crown fans fighting with each other and ripping the show apart this much

I don't know.  Last year was pretty heated, and 2014 was, too.  Even 2016 got heated because of the change to the ending.

But the tone here is not near as bad as the show threads.  Brutal.

4 hours ago, lanceengland said:

Most of the criticism I've read seems to be meant as constructive. I must have missed the calls to fire design teams. CC has a killer brass and maybe the strongest drum line they've ever had. I think fans hate to see talent not maximized by sub-optimal design choices.

Personally, I'll stop thinking about scores and placement and just enjoy it for what it is.

Could not agree more, and I have reached that point, too.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

Seems like the suggestions above are either rib, or teeth or claws.  Can't be all of those.  They all look  the same, but don't really look like teeth or claws or ribs.  Think about what a tooth looks like  compare it to the things on the field, nope.

Think about a claw, well maybe, but the base kinda defeats that idea.  Ribs, again what kind of animal (oops Beast) has a rib (or any other bone) that looks like that?  I'm confused, and am totally surprised that no one who knows has said definitively.  Someone designed and built them and they didn't think they were "just things".  Or I would not have thought so.

And I even get the "trees" that Boston has.  Maybe not jungle trees, but I never had a problem identifying them as trees.

Agree, they look more like ribs or bones than teeth or claws.  Most mammals have ribs so that sounds like the best explanation. 

3 hours ago, johnpendell said:

I don’t think crown’s standards have changed much at all, it’s just the personal preference of the viewer really. 2014, 2017, 2010, and I guess now 2018 have all been shows that people kinda didn’t really “get into” but the standard of crown doesn’t change: good marching, good horns, good guard, increasingly good drumline...other corps are just also getting very good at this as well  

You could say this literally about every show there’s all kinds of random details that don’t really make sense. Bluecoats neon yellow chairs ... I get it cause Billie Holiday is likely to have sat down at least once... lol but like 12 of them that are neon yellow, it’s just sorta random. They chose to use them more than crown, crown thought the teeth/horns were more of a frame of a painting, just compliment to what you’re supposed to be actually watching imo. Or SCV.. those stacks give nothing “Babylon”-esque, the uniforms do not scream “the fall of a city”  Blue Devils and the random Michael Jackson or Indian percussion break. I could go on. All I’m saying is every corps is doing something extra that nobody gets except the corps and maybe a non-member or two they talk to about throughout the season. 

As for the placements, we’ll just have to see what happens to be honest. People were expecting crown to get 5th last year and they managed to get 3rd with a “sub-standard” crown show. If they clean, layer, edit some things, I don’t see why they won’t do it again. Only catch this year is there’s way more corps bringing it so it’s more competitive imo, but really I think crown is still just as fantastic as ever. 

I agree with Cavies surging back, BAC on the move, and Bloo/BD/SCV maintaining excellence, the competition is toit!

1 hour ago, PamahoNow said:

This is interesting to me.  Some folks clearly see them as rib cages, as in a boneyard, but many others don't see that, and are distracted by it.  Something about the design does not work, if that many people don't see (assuming the rib cage interpretation is correct).  But it's obviously a distraction to many, I just don't see it that way.

And it's funny you bring up the trees.  I did not get that until I read it on here.  Probably would have gotten there eventually, but certainly did not right away.  And I don't really care for how the design of the beach prop differs so much in style from tree props, but it does not keep me from enjoying the show.

Everyone can take a breather changes have already started happening!!! Tonight was an introduction to brand new ballad changes and some beginning closer stuff. More is definitely on the way.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Flguardman said:

Everyone can take a breather changes have already started happening!!! Tonight was an introduction to brand new ballad changes and some beginning closer stuff. More is definitely on the way.

Yes!!! So exciting!!!