Carolina Crown 2018

8 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

While Crown's show idea is a little murky right now, there are other corps' shows that I just do not get at all, Blue Devils and Bluecoats being two of them. Blue Devils always have the abstract show, and now it seems that the Bluecoats are going that same direction judging by the past 2-3 years, but yet they get all the GE, and I do not understand why they do. Downside Up won GE, and I could never figure out what the show was really about, and I feel the same way about this years Bloo show. It's jazzy (not my favorite) and they are loud, but the show does not appeal to me. Crown's show is about a Beast of some kind (does not have to have fur for those of you who are complaining about the lizard uniforms) and while the show is a little hard to understand right now, it is easier to understand than other corps' shows (this is my opinion so don't jump on me for being "wrong"). I am definitely not counting out Crown yet. This seems to be the first time this season that Crown can use rehearsal days effectively instead of trying to finish the show like they had to do in Muncie. I am excited to see what they perform on Sunday and expect some changes to the music and maybe some effects to depict more "beastly" things. And as always, go Crown!

Hey I'm with you on Crown, I like Crown's show and it's even better when you see it live but the show theme/design is definitely murky. Hopefully, they spent a lot of time cleaning the past couple of rehearsal days. I guess we'll find out on Sunday. "Release the Beast"

1 minute ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Hey I'm with you on Crown, I like Crown's show and it's even better when you see it live but the show theme/design is definitely murky. Hopefully, they spent a lot of time cleaning the past couple of rehearsal days. I guess we'll find out on Sunday. "Release the Beast"

I've seen it live a few times and that brass is something else, and the drums are phenomenal this year. The thing that is really holding them back, as you alluded to, is how clean they are. They need to clean up the drill, especially in the closer and the end of the opener right before the ballad, and I think they will see a significant score boost

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Y'all have no idea how happy this tweet makes me!!!

Sacrificed the KY show for the Murfreesboro, TN show this year. Makes me sad I have to wait longer to see some corps but the lineup alone is going to be worth the wait! 

36 minutes ago, bicsta said:

I think Crown has tried to follow the Devil's path, sacrificing drill for staging and shoehorning concepts where they don't fit. For instance, Beiber in a Tempest show that had nothing to do with the Tempest, K-pop in a cluttered storybook show, whatever the heck last year was.

While this has worked for BD, the lack of drill demand and cohesive theme is penalized on the east coast.  I miss the Crown of 2012 -2017.

Ironically, the Devils have a challenging show this year, and they are scoring relatively poorly.  

So maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

They did Shine Bright Like a Diamond by Rihanna for their diamond anniversary show 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

While Crown's show idea is a little murky right now, there are other corps' shows that I just do not get at all, Blue Devils and Bluecoats being two of them. Blue Devils always have the abstract show, and now it seems that the Bluecoats are going that same direction judging by the past 2-3 years, but yet they get all the GE, and I do not understand why they do. Downside Up won GE, and I could never figure out what the show was really about, and I feel the same way about this years Bloo show. It's jazzy (not my favorite) and they are loud, but the show does not appeal to me. Crown's show is about a Beast of some kind (does not have to have fur for those of you who are complaining about the lizard uniforms) and while the show is a little hard to understand right now, it is easier to understand than other corps' shows (this is my opinion so don't jump on me for being "wrong"). I am definitely not counting out Crown yet. This seems to be the first time this season that Crown can use rehearsal days effectively instead of trying to finish the show like they had to do in Muncie. I am excited to see what they perform on Sunday and expect some changes to the music and maybe some effects to depict more "beastly" things. And as always, go Crown!

I agree that both BD and Bloo have murky concepts right now, but I don't really find them any more or less murky than Crown's. BD currently is creating a story based off the people sitting in the diner in the Nighthawks painting (there's an detective, some gangster, and a woman), Bluecoats have some story with the singer where she is apparently in a dream and overcoming stage fright or something of that sort. 

I had to do some research to understand what was going on for all 3 corps. Seems like it's how things go nowadays. 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

had to do some research to understand what was going on for all 3 corps. Seems like it's how things go nowadays. 

And to think Drum Corps existed long before the internet how did we figure out shows then???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Murky is an understatement! The dark color scheme might be hurting them Visual and GE wise. The colorguard uniform and corp uniform easily blend into each other, so lines and forms aren't as clear or in focus as they should be.  There is still ample time to address this.  There are moments of staging and use of multiple focus that have great impact, but it doesn't pop like the jigsaw show concept of Blue Devils, they really know how to use color and how to manipulate the stage area to receive maximum scores, as for the Bluecoats, the use of contrasting colors in props (love the big chairs) and use of color shades in guard and corp uniform, has a huge impact with score in GE and Visual (and the judges are really rewarding them for design). 

51 minutes ago, bicsta said:

I think Crown has tried to follow the Devil's path, sacrificing drill for staging and shoehorning concepts where they don't fit. For instance, Beiber in a Tempest show that had nothing to do with the Tempest, K-pop in a cluttered storybook show, whatever the heck last year was.

While this has worked for BD, the lack of drill demand and cohesive theme is penalized on the east coast.  I miss the Crown of 2012 -2017.

Ironically, the Devils have a challenging show this year, and they are scoring relatively poorly.  

So maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

Dont blame BD for crowns hit and misses. BD have the most cohesive shows in history with details whether you understand them or not. though their shows seems disjoint at almost every start of the season, gets fleshed out through out the course of the season, completed by finals. Crown is an Awesome corp, I normally love their shows inspite few created choices I may not like, and that includes BD too and many other corps. Crown knows how to rise by finals so lets see how they handle the challenges a head of them and what they face now. All the top six are challenge in different and intense way this year than few years back because they all have great shows and tge competition between themselves are firced. CC, BD, BC, BOC, SCV, CAV 

• Haha 1