Carolina Crown 2018

1 hour ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

I've seen it live a few times and that brass is something else, and the drums are phenomenal this year. The thing that is really holding them back, as you alluded to, is how clean they are. They need to clean up the drill, especially in the closer and the end of the opener right before the ballad, and I think they will see a significant score boost

Since Ron Hardin and team  arrived in Fort Mill,  they have had no trouble getting clean.  Not really worried about that. 

Hearing great reports from rehearsal in both WCU and KY. Look for some nice adjustments tomorrow night and some stronger visual elements. For those naysayers we will soon find out if you spoke too soon (Sunday). Release the Beast!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

It seems like an off year for Crown, but it would be much more reflective of the talent of the other 5 corps, not the lack of talent in Crown. They’re obviously very talented.

Yeah it really is. This year is so competitive, with Bloo bouncing back from their off year, and BAC still growing. Still hoping for Crown to beat Bloo at least once this year

Edited by ccklinefelter

2 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

While Crown's show idea is a little murky right now, there are other corps' shows that I just do not get at all, Blue Devils and Bluecoats being two of them. Blue Devils always have the abstract show, and now it seems that the Bluecoats are going that same direction judging by the past 2-3 years, but yet they get all the GE, and I do not understand why they do. Downside Up won GE, and I could never figure out what the show was really about, and I feel the same way about this years Bloo show. It's jazzy (not my favorite) and they are loud, but the show does not appeal to me. Crown's show is about a Beast of some kind (does not have to have fur for those of you who are complaining about the lizard uniforms) and while the show is a little hard to understand right now, it is easier to understand than other corps' shows (this is my opinion so don't jump on me for being "wrong"). I am definitely not counting out Crown yet. This seems to be the first time this season that Crown can use rehearsal days effectively instead of trying to finish the show like they had to do in Muncie. I am excited to see what they perform on Sunday and expect some changes to the music and maybe some effects to depict more "beastly" things. And as always, go Crown!

I think for some judges (and spectators), GE comes more from how the show makes you feel, as opposed to how it all connects. Downside Up won GE because the judges "felt" more than the other shows. My guess about Crown's show is right on with what someone said before, maybe the show is less of a story and more about the nature of the beast itself.

3 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

While Crown's show idea is a little murky right now, there are other corps' shows that I just do not get at all, Blue Devils and Bluecoats being two of them. Blue Devils always have the abstract show, and now it seems that the Bluecoats are going that same direction judging by the past 2-3 years, but yet they get all the GE, and I do not understand why they do. Downside Up won GE, and I could never figure out what the show was really about, and I feel the same way about this years Bloo show. It's jazzy (not my favorite) and they are loud, but the show does not appeal to me. Crown's show is about a Beast of some kind (does not have to have fur for those of you who are complaining about the lizard uniforms) and while the show is a little hard to understand right now, it is easier to understand than other corps' shows (this is my opinion so don't jump on me for being "wrong"). I am definitely not counting out Crown yet. This seems to be the first time this season that Crown can use rehearsal days effectively instead of trying to finish the show like they had to do in Muncie. I am excited to see what they perform on Sunday and expect some changes to the music and maybe some effects to depict more "beastly" things. And as always, go Crown!

The idea that shows have to be "about" something is a relatively recent one, and it's wrong.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The idea that shows have to be "about" something is a relatively recent one, and it's wrong.

If you are trying to communicate a story and a message, and people don't get that message, then you've failed in show design. If you don't care, then you walk the corps out and play 11 minutes of kick-@ss music and drill, and call it a show. 

14 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

If you are trying to communicate a story and a message, and people don't get that message, then you've failed in show design. If you don't care, then you walk the corps out and play 11 minutes of kick-@ss music and drill, and call it a show. 

If you truly are good and what you do then one shouldn't matter to accomplish the other. IMO it happens all the time

I've heard often over the years " WHo the heck knows what they are doing but XXXX that was cool...Disclaimer: of course not by all, before someone has to say it.

Then, of course, the opposite is being really good and accomplishing Zip..oh well :doh:

Edited by GUARDLING

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

If you truly are good and what you do then one shouldn't matter to accomplish the other. IMO it happens all the time

I've heard often over the years " WHo the heck knows what they are doing but XXXX that was cool...Disclaimer: of course not by all, before someone has to say it.

Then, of course, the opposite is being really good and accomplishing Zip..oh well

Most of my all time favorite shows had a strong story line. Phantom of the Opera, Machine, Angels and Demons, What Dreams are Made On, Inferno.

Some had a strong message but not a story. Bluecoats over the last five years all fit that concept. Bluecoats is saying, if all you get is a great musical and visual feast, then that's great. But if you want something more, that's great too. Session 44 has both. So did Inferno. 

That said, my all time least favorite and most frustrating shows attempted to tell a story and sucked at it. I'll leave that where it is. It depends on your goal in design. If your goal is to tell a story, or create a strong message, and the audience gets neither, you've failed. This isn't just a technical exposition. It's entertainment. There's no crime in just going out and blowing the heck out of your horns, and marching your *ss off, but the era of just being faster and louder is probably over.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Most of my all time favorite shows had a strong story line. Phantom of the Opera, Machine, Angels and Demons, What Dreams are Made On, Inferno.

Some had a strong message but not a story. Bluecoats over the last five years all fit that concept. Bluecoats is saying, if all you get is a great musical and visual feast, then that's great. But if you want something more, that's great too. Session 44 has both. So did Inferno. 

That said, my all time least favorite and most frustrating shows attempted to tell a story and sucked at it. I'll leave that where it is. It depends on your goal in design. If your goal is to tell a story, or create a strong message, and the audience gets neither, you've failed. This isn't just a technical exposition. It's entertainment. There's no crime in just going out and blowing the heck out of your horns, and marching your *ss off, but the era of just being faster and louder is probably over.

Yes

Isn't it great though when no matter what one wants from a show as a viewer all can get something out of it. If it's not, I do think there are others to watch and something is there for everyone IF they are willing to see it.I agree with you larst statement other than I don't think faster and louder ever meant better BUT I do think to do it should be an accepted option moving forward

Edited by GUARDLING