Carolina Crown 2018

17 minutes ago, msumello said:

I never even noticed that until someone pointed it out on youtube.. ..I tell you...that player must have been in agony for the rest of the night...well....the player might have felt hopeful when they took Ge...but then when BD was announced 2nd...the relief he musta felt...lol...But I was there...the energy Crown gave during that run that won them the title..well...I had a feeling they got it....but then I had a feeling they won in 15'. But I wasn't there in person so I guess it was just hopeful thinking. .Anyways...

Don't even get me started on 2015...I understand why they lost...but still. Travesty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WooHooo!!!   Crown Percussion...  loving the energy of this year's book.

Edited by Wog
  • Like 3

Even if Crown doesn't medal this year, I love this show! I believe they're headed in the right direction with the changes they've made so far. I know brass has an off night, I'm certain Matt Harloff will take care of that as he always does. 

But let's talk about this percussion! Wow! Even if they don't medal, how great would it be if Crown took home the Sanford?!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, msumello said:

I'll see them in Bentonville tomorrow evening. So excited. 

Same!! I'm bringing some buddies who have yet to witness the majesty of DCI live.

I hope Crown blows their hair back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DasTuba said:

Even if Crown doesn't medal this year, I love this show! I believe they're headed in the right direction with the changes they've made so far. I know brass has an off night, I'm certain Matt Harloff will take care of that as he always does. 

But let's talk about this percussion! Wow! Even if they don't medal, how great would it be if Crown took home the Sanford?!

Don't give up on the medals quite yet.  As the recaps from St Louis show,  it's a different world when (a) everyone is at one show (b) "Indy" panels instead local panels.  They are also behind BD,SCV, and esp Bloo in the clean game.  Assuming you have the staff and members able to do the hard work,  that's not a bad thing.  Finally -- they have some challenges design-wise still to overcome.  Small changes can make big impacts from here to the end.

As for the percussion -- yeah they are EN FUEGO!

Some folks keep projecting them sixth.  Beast keeps saying'  "uh-uh -- not happening".  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, karuna said:

Don't give up on the medals quite yet.  As the recaps from St Louis show,  it's a different world when (a) everyone is at one show (b) "Indy" panels instead local panels.  They are also behind BD,SCV, and esp Bloo in the clean game.  Assuming you have the staff and members able to do the hard work,  that's not a bad thing.  Finally -- they have some challenges design-wise still to overcome.  Small changes can make big impacts from here to the end.

As for the percussion -- yeah they are EN FUEGO!

Some folks keep projecting them sixth.  Beast keeps saying'  "uh-uh -- not happening".  

I absolutely believe they have a strong chance to medal, possibly even win. It's a tall task this year, a lot of very strong programs this year! No way do I see them falling to 6th though as a lot of people are saying. 4th is the lowest I see them but I'm hoping for higher than that of course! They have the potential!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DasTuba said:

I absolutely believe they have a strong chance to medal, possibly even win. It's a tall task this year, a lot of very strong programs this year! No way do I see them falling to 6th though as a lot of people are saying. 4th is the lowest I see them but I'm hoping for higher than that of course! They have the potential!

I hope you’re right. I’ll be the first to admit that I had to be talked off the ledge just a few days ago. After Orlando, it seemed like they were about to start freefalling. I’m glad to see them pull it together. 

• Like 3

After watching last night's event, it just seems like this corps is suffering from a case of "great idea on paper, hard to pull off".  The ensemble is strong, from top to bottom, and especially that battery -- good gravy -- that battery! The "Beast" concept sounds cool, it brings a ton of imagery to mind of scary monsters, and of course a growwwwl to match. But AFTER that initial image, what's next? How do you evolve a scary beast and growl? I think that's where Crown is stuck at. Stuck.

I look forward to any additional changes they'll make to round out the design, but unfortunately what we have now is about what we're going to get... which worries me... does Cavaliers & Boston over take them? Both of those corps have designs that allow them room to grow - OR - does Crown's performance quality keep them in a top 4 position simply because of their talent?

I love Crown for the "risk" of this type of design, but I think something a bit more storyboarded would have proved a better choice... but there's a fine line between entertaining and just hokey.