Carolina Crown 2018

Love Crown this year and so many years past, I’m a Scouts Alumni from  the 80s and I’m in the process of shifting support to Crown, both verbally and with my donations. I’ve loved watching the direction Crown has pulled the activity to, especially with  brass. Thank you so much for what u have given.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

So, we can't get excited? Okay. 

It's perfectly okay to get excited. But, cautiously.  I was excited about the boost in scores as well, but we have to realize that this was not a full panel like it was at St Louis.  This was a smaller panel.  When panels are smaller, scores tend to jump.  So, while I am excited that Crown scored higher, I realize that cautious optimism is best.  If Bluecoats had been at the same show and Crown scored within .05 of them, that would be a different story.  Let's just practice cautious optimism and trust the Corps.  They know what they're doing. :)

1 minute ago, KakkoiiOtaku said:

It's perfectly okay to get excited. But, cautiously.  I was excited about the boost in scores as well, but we have to realize that this was not a full panel like it was at St Louis.  This was a smaller panel.  When panels are smaller, scores tend to jump.  So, while I am excited that Crown scored higher, I realize that cautious optimism is best.  If Bluecoats had been at the same show and Crown scored within .05 of them, that would be a different story.  Let's just practice cautious optimism and trust the Corps.  They know what they're doing. :)

Wait... this was a full panel. It just wasn't a REGIONAL panel where they double up on some captions. Now... if this were a small panel like we have seen at some show early in the season I would agree. But all captions were covered with some good judges so I think this is reflective of the corp continuing to get better. I for one am excited to see how this production continues to evolve and grow.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Wait... this was a full panel. It just wasn't a REGIONAL panel where they double up on some captions. Now... if this were a small panel like we have seen at some show early in the season I would agree. But all captions were covered with some good judges so I think this is reflective of the corp continuing to get better. I for one am excited to see how this production continues to evolve and grow.

Right, that was what I was getting at.  Doesn't that still go with my hypothesis that there's a chance the score jumped because the panel, while still "full" was not a full regional panel?

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

So, we can't get excited? Okay. 

Just calming down a newb.

11 hours ago, msumello said:

Dunno if it makes sense but I think movement before the ballad was a bit too busy....too many things happening at once. And I still don't like the flags' with the ropes/cords they use in the ballad. Other than that....awesome!

From my perspective the 2nd MVT (before the ballad) is easily the most difficult and intricate musical arrangement of the year (and my favorite part of the show). There is a lot happening and a lot of very interesting musical interactions with various sections being featured across brass and percussion. I think if you see it a couple ties it will grow on you but I understand on first view how it could overwhelm. Best writing I have heard in a while. Kudos to the design team.

5 minutes ago, KakkoiiOtaku said:

Right, that was what I was getting at.  Doesn't that still go with my hypothesis that there's a chance the score jumped because the panel, while still "full" was not a full regional panel?

I'm SO confused. I thought we only had partial panels and full panels. Now you tell us we have Regional (Super?) panels?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KakkoiiOtaku said:

I not sure I have seen huge disparities between the full panel and the regional/Finals panels versus a full panel. I have seen wild swings between full panel and partial panels (this year particularly). Not saying you do not have a point but I have not seen it.

3 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Just calming down a newb.

Why can't new people get excited about Drum Corps?  Isn't that what we want?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Why can't new people get excited about Drum Corps?  Isn't that what we want?

LOL...no problem with getting people excited.  It's also part of the educational process getting them to learn how the game works...