Carolina Crown 2018

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I didn’t realize Crown ever really fielded young hornlines. They seem dominant enough in that caption to be able to get the oldest and most experienced brass players every year. Matt Harloff and Klesch and pretty good draws in that respect too

Big ageout classes happen.  

Just now, karuna said:

Big ageout classes happen.  

Right, what I mean is that don’t corps at the top usually reload rather than start from scratch? I’m not too familiar with how it works. 

For rxample, you rarely hear BD fielding a young corps, or SCV fielding a young percussion line, etc. They usually grab experienced players from other corps even after their own age out

26 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Right, what I mean is that don’t corps at the top usually reload rather than start from scratch? I’m not too familiar with how it works. 

For rxample, you rarely hear BD fielding a young corps, or SCV fielding a young percussion line, etc. They usually grab experienced players from other corps even after their own age out

You can have a particularly large ageout class in one section which results in large number of spots being available.  Overall age naturally comes down as younger players have a better shot at making the line   Also  the section as a whole is less experienced in the CrownBrass technique program.  It’s easier to “reload” when ageouts are evenly distributed across sections. .  In the end it just means it may take a week or two longer to get things clean. 

BTW young players do make it at Crown.  Probably more than most think.

And yeah I’m sure the same thing happens at BD and SCV.  Big difference  between a section full of vets and section full of rookies (new to the corps). 

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Right, what I mean is that don’t corps at the top usually reload rather than start from scratch? . 

Correct. Top 6 Corps all have large ageout numbers most seasons.. and medals winning Corps oftentimes have even more. SCV had 65 ageouts last season.. Bluecoats as well. BD always has either lage ageouts, or marchers still age eligible, but decide not to return ( as they won a ring ). Corps in the TOP 6 generally are considered what is termed " Destination Corps ", not " Stepping Stone " or " Feeding Corps ". Top 6 Corps generally receive older and experienced marchers influx each off season from other lower tier DCI Corps, irrespective of the age outs they had the previous season. Crown is a well established Top 6 Drum Corps with an outstanding reputation for brass line quality. As such, it has no issues typically in drawing outstanding older and experienced brass auditioneers to their camps each season to fill their age out positions in Brass. Thus, if its being reported that Crown's 2018 brass line is a young brass line and/ or has a "  young trumpet section", that appears a bit unusual for Carolina Crown to go out this season with allegedly young brass marchers on the whole or in their trumpet section. That said, even if they are younger than Crown is accustomed most seasons, they still play very well, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Correct. Top 6 Corps all have large ageouts most seasons.. and medals winning Corps oftentimes havw even more. SCV had 65 ageouts last season.. Bluecoats as well. BD always has either lage ageouts, or marchers still age eligible, but decide not to return ( as they won a ring ). Corps in the TOP 6 generally are considered what is termed " Destination Corps ", not " Stepping Stone " or " Feeding Corps ". Top 6 Corps generally receive older and experienced marchers influx each off season from other lower tier DCI Corps, irrespective of the age outs they had the previous season. Crown is a well established Top 6 Drum Corps with an outstanding reputation for brass line quality. As such, it has no issues typically in drawing outstanding brass auditioneers to their camps each season to fill their age out positions in Brass. Thus, if its being reported that Crown's 2018 brass line is a young brass line and/ or has a "  young trumpet section", that appears a bit unusual for Carolina Crown to go out this season with allegedly young brass marchers on the whole or in their trumpet section. That said, even if they are younger than Crown is accustomed most seasons, they play very well, imo

This is what I was thinking as well. Thanks! 

• Like 1

As of right now, Crown and SCV have tied for the highest brass score at 17.90. Bloo was also at 17.90 at St. Louis, but dropped back down to 17.70 over the next 2 days. Crown has a difficult book this year, I doubt that's the issue as of right now. I think the focus on adding new aspects and cleaning throughout the past couple weeks has distracted Crown from working intensively on their brass. There's a good chance that soon the line will shape up into something big.

• Like 2

It's a show day! Some more cleaning and changes during the week. I hear the corps is very excited going into tonight and tomorrow. Can't wait until they release BEAST! Go Crown!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

It's a show day! Some more cleaning and changes during the week. I hear the corps is very excited going into tonight and tomorrow. Can't wait until they release BEAST! Go Crown!

Based on comments on DCP, Crown didn’t even appear last night!   Hopefully we get better reporting tonight.  Heard there have been a number of changes but no idea what they might be. 

Hope Crown continues to build momentum!

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I would like to see them close the gap to Devils & Coats and it will be interesting to see how close they are in Brass & Percussion to SCV.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2018 at 1:14 PM, BRASSO said:

Correct. Top 6 Corps all have large ageout numbers most seasons.. and medals winning Corps oftentimes have even more. SCV had 65 ageouts last season.. Bluecoats as well. BD always has either lage ageouts, or marchers still age eligible, but decide not to return ( as they won a ring ). Corps in the TOP 6 generally are considered what is termed " Destination Corps ", not " Stepping Stone " or " Feeding Corps ". Top 6 Corps generally receive older and experienced marchers influx each off season from other lower tier DCI Corps, irrespective of the age outs they had the previous season. Crown is a well established Top 6 Drum Corps with an outstanding reputation for brass line quality. As such, it has no issues typically in drawing outstanding older and experienced brass auditioneers to their camps each season to fill their age out positions in Brass. Thus, if its being reported that Crown's 2018 brass line is a young brass line and/ or has a "  young trumpet section", that appears a bit unusual for Carolina Crown to go out this season with allegedly young brass marchers on the whole or in their trumpet section. That said, even if they are younger than Crown is accustomed most seasons, they still play very well, imo

Totally agree with you, BRASSO. I also think its a bit of a copout at times to use that as an excuse. Crown has had hornlines this young and won Ott trophies several times. How do we know the other top corps aren't just as young? Maybe SCV and BLOO are younger this year, but just achieving at a higher level right now. I think at some point, you don't make excuses just because you aren't winning and I KNOW Matt and that brass team would never do that. It discredits the success of other groups which is important to remember. Age is relative; its about the design, the book, making changes to the book and the execution of the performers. The whole 'oh they are younger this year, thats why they aren't winning " is a BS argument that gets used way too often in this activity. There are 3 weeks left, anyone can still win any caption, especially including Crown in brass. 

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Thanks 2