Carolina Crown 2018

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think it needs to be curtailed to protect melodic integrity and flow. As simple as that. 

To me it's all about show design and message intent coming first. Like it or not, the DCI sheets require audition passages for the judges, it is what Blue Devils does every year. There are several key passages in Inferno that are written and staged to wow judges, but they fit the show design and what was trying to be communicated at the time. 

This year, those passages just stuck out to me as show off pieces, because it didn't seem to make any connection to the story itself. Will it score well? Yes. Because that's how DCI judging works. But it's not the best way to go in my opinion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lowend said:

I really hope Crown goes back to the storytelling type of shows that they have done so well in the past.  Other than the Bach, this year's show was a total miss for me.

Understood. As much as I enjoyed this year's show, a number of us, at the DCI Video Booth inside LOS, enjoyed watching 2016 Relentless. Looking back on that show now really gave us a renewed appreciation on wonderful that show was.

I would encourage anyone to dust off the '16 Blu Ray  and re-watch that show. The music book, visuals, and timing is incredible.  

Then, when you're done with that, there's 2015 Inferno!  :inlove:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Understood. As much as I enjoyed this year's show, a number of us, at the DCI Video Booth inside LOS, enjoyed watching 2016 Relentless. Looking back on that show now really gave us a renewed appreciation on wonderful that show was.

I would encourage anyone to dust off the '16 Blu Ray  and re-watch that show. The music book, visuals, and timing is incredible.  

Then, when you're done with that, there's 2015 Inferno!  :inlove:

I did not appreciate Relentless enough over the course of the season. And when they added that new ending at the end of the season, it put the show over the top for me. Such an amazing production 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I did not appreciate Relentless enough over the course of the season. And when they added that new ending at the end of the season, it put the show over the top for me. Such an amazing production 

I understand where you're coming from. You know, EVERY year I am amazed on how some of the more fantastic shows really grow throughout the season. I'll see a show in June and think, wow, that's pretty good. Even the shows that I think, that's pretty good, but...     Then, you see the show in August and it's like, WOW, holy heck, where did that come from?  Or, well after the season, or even years to come - you look back and are blown away on how terrific the show(s) were. I am reminded of that almost every time I pull out the finished product on my blu ray (or YT:sneaky:). As for Relentless, it was a very special show. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I still wish they had kept the ending where the bad guy died...

7 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

I still wish they had kept the ending where the bad guy died...

Nope, the new ending was perfect. Loved the commentary it brought to the field. 

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Nope, the new ending was perfect. Loved the commentary it brought to the field. 

What's Relentless about letting the man who killed your father, whom you tracked down just to kill, live?

9 minutes ago, cube said:

What's Relentless about letting the man who killed your father, whom you tracked down just to kill, live?

It was art and social commentary. I love when artists take a concept and push it to become something meaningful and bigger than what it was in the beginning. It's something good writers, authors, etc do. What Crown did was really brilliant. The word Relentless doesn't always have to mean one thing. Relentless can easily be "the relentless pursuit of justice" rather than "relentless pursuit of revenge" (see the difference?). To show that type of character growth in a 12 minute story-line show is quite incredible. 

I've criticized Crown a good amount on some things, but this is something I will always defend and applaud them for. 

Edited by Cappybara