2018 Prediction Thread

The quality at the top is so incredible these days it is almost impossible for a corps to move into the top five or six. Boston's move this year was pretty incredible jumping from 12th to 6th. It will be considerably harder for them to move up further next year, but not impossible. Just not sure who they replace. 

The Cavaliers move to fourth may have been more impressive than Boston's jump. Not many predicted that would take down the defending champion. It was no fluke either, they deserved what they got. 

No doubt we will be watching a battle of the California titans all next year at the top. Blue Devils are always there and SCV are back as a championship contender. As someone who attended his first finals in 1976, it is very comfortable having those two corps battle for #1. 

We will need to see who stays and joins each corps staff before making too many predictions. I assume corps like the Blue Knights, Phantom Regiment, Blue Stars, and Crossmen will improve, and Madison is not where they (or their alumni) want them to be. 

The wildcard is the Cadets. Do they climb back up and challenge the top five? They are only six years removed from a championship and three years away from the second of back to back third place finishes. They are not an organization accustomed to sixth and lower finishes. But, who they jump over? Will they get the talent they are used to getting? If you are a kid looking at an eastern corps, do you go to the Cadets or Boston? Or Carolina Crown? I think the Cadets have the most questions around them going into the off-season. I hope they come back on fire. 

I will give the same placement prediction I give every year. Blue Devils will win. Over the past 42 summers, I have been right 42% of the time. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, FaustianMachine said:

Not gonna lie, I had this typed up as they were announcing scores and clicked submit as soon as they announced the last score, lol. 

Hey, whatever works. Each year on New Year's Eve, I started dialing my mother's phone number as soon as Dick Clark started the countdown. I'd wait until he said "Happy New Year" to press the last digit. I was always the first to call her, something she loved. I never shared my secret until after she passed. I had to--my sisters and my mother were the best of friends, my brother could fix anything. I took her to doctor's appointments. I had to have some other claim to fame other than reminding her of a doctor's office! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

My current prediction: Some corps will rise, some will fall, and BD will be in the top 2.

Really going out on a limb with this...

• Like 2

Pre  Audition Placement Predictions for 2018

1) Blue Devils

2) Santa Clara Vanguard

3) Boston Crusaders

4) Cavaliers

5) Bluecoats

6) Carolina Crown

7) Blue Knights

8) Blue Stars

9) Phantom Regiment

10) Cadets

11) Crossmen

12) Madison Scouts

13) Mandarins

14) Academy

15) Troopers

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Mine:

1. Blue Devils - Best talent top to bottom, best design staff. Reloading yet again.

2. SCV - heard they were very young this year, and that's exciting for next year. Momentum finally on their side. Maybe a thematic show again? 

3. Bluecoats -May be the year that truly solidifies their position. Learned some hard lessons this year about concept vs. scoring: You can't always win over all other captions with GE. Kudos for leading the activity from a concept standpoint, now come back with something even better. 

4. Carolina Crown - they ain't going away, and will have a better show concept. Could win the gold again with a great concept, because musically they have the dci judges by the short hairs.

5. Boston - Following up this year will be harder than most might think. I think this is a tenuous fifth, but they have the stage set.

6. Cavaliers - Gotta put more musical shows on the field. 

7. Knights - Would pick them as high as fourth with a blockbuster visual concept. Not sure what their age out number is.

8. Cadets - Better Bernstein source material will really help, but can they retain members? Dunno. It's getting more and more crowded at the top. Without elite age out talent filling the center positions, it's really hard to learn complex shows fast enough. This is the year in which cadets either rises or falls to a precarious low.

9.  Blue Stars - A more drum corps-ish theme would help them move up

10. Phantom - Unfortunately they proved little this season other than staying power. Not sold on them. Please do not trade brass for guard ever again. Be Phantom, but maybe try to not take yourself so seriously thematically.

11. Scouts - Please do something musical and thematic. But welcome back to finals!

12. Academy/Crossmen - I feel like academy could come back strong next year, but they might be really young again. Crossmen continue to be so solid.

• Like 2

What I want to happen:

1) Crown

2) BD

3) Bloo

4) SCV

5) BAC

6) BK

7) Cavies

8) BS

9) Cadets

10) Bones

11) Phantom

12) Mandarins

What might actually happen:

1)BD

2)Crown

3)Bloo

4)SCV

5)Cavies

6)Cadets

7)BAC

8)BK

9)BS

10)Bones

11)Phantom

12)Mandarins

Edited by youraveragenoob
brain thoughts and stuff! ©

Here goes...

1. Blue Devils
2. Santa Clara Vanguard
3. Carolina Crown (I might have to revisit this prediction. Very interesting)
4. Cavaliers
5. Boston Crusaders/Bluecoats
6. Boston Crusaders/Bluecoats
7. Cadets
8. Blue Knights
9. Blue Stars
10. Phantom Regiment
11. Crossmen
12. Madison Scouts/Mandarins
13. Madison Scouts/Mandarins
14. Academy
15. Colts
16. SCV Cadets
17. Troopers
18. Spirit of Atlanta
19. Blue Devils B
20. Oregon Crusaders
21. Legends (If they return and if they return as strong as they were this year)
22. Music City
23. Seattle Cascades
24. Genesis
25. Spartans
26. Louisiana Stars
27. Jersey Surf
28. Southwind
29. Gold
30. River City Rhythm
31. 7th Regiment
32. Guardians
33. Pioneer