Blue Devils 2018

13 hours ago, MikeBD said:

For my 100th post I would just like to point out to the haters.  18 is a beautiful number.

18 is when you come of age—and start to do some real damage. :bluedevil: (God help us after #21.)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, BDCorno said:

Stating fact isn't ever throwing someone under a bus. It's a technique they use. Everyone parks a lot for difficult passages. So [number of occurrences] x 4-8 count halts isn't really any different than one occurrence of an equal amount of halt. Geez people...seems like the ultimate for some would be running around at 224 bpm and a huge drill move during a musical phrase that calls for visual calm. 

No I hear you, same page. I'm just trying to be better at rising above it—at least for a day, lol. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crown Phan said:

But they don't move and perform. They move OR perform.

It seems to work for them. XVIII. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Ok BD Nation. Is this upcoming season the year we get our show with all Gordon Goodwin music?

That would be cool... but honestly, the Blue Devils could do 10 minutes of reading names from a phone book and somehow make it work. :tongue:

Hats off to the best drum corps in history!!! :thumbup:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That would be cool... but honestly, the Blue Devils could do 10 minutes of reading names from a phone book and somehow make it work. :tongue:

Hats off to the best drum corps in history!!! :thumbup:

LMAO!!!!! 18!!!!!!!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Crown Phan said:

I did from Row 12 tonight. I flipping time it out with a stop watch. They do a brilliant job making it seem like they're doing more work than they are. 

Ya know, had you simply watched the final presentations and let yourself enjoy them, rather than going in armed with your stopwatch hell bent on gathering "evidence" to justify why your favorite corps should really have won, the grapes you are eating might not taste quite as sour. 

• Like 2

"They don't move enough."

I've heard this... or some variation of this phrase... for what, 40 years now, regarding the Blue Devils. Blah, blah, blah.

But like I said on a FB thread about this whole thing:  Since BD has an unparalleled record of success, more than any corps in history.... perhaps a few other corps might want to give "they don't move enough" a try.  :tongue:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Crown Phan said:

But they don't move and perform. They move OR perform.

Well ... funny you should say that.  I was inspired by your stopwatch thing.  I replayed the top 3 and timed how long BD, SCV  and Crown each had their full brass line marching and playing (didn't count soloist or small SCV brass ensemble playing. I wouldn't have counted all of that singing, but for much of it, the brass line was indeed backing her up ... wouldn't call that so demanding .. but credit given).   Also didn't count any body movement stuff made popular by ... Crown.   

The results?

BD: 2:40

SCV 2:00 

Crown: 3:15

I was actually surprised by how little all three brass lines marched traditionally while playing.   Yet, all three were outstanding shows with TONS of movement.   Just not that marching and playing variety by any of them.  The result?  A lot of great movement, and a lot of amazing sound.  Works for me!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bgg80 said:

Well ... funny you should say that.  I was inspired by your stopwatch thing.  I replayed the top 3 and timed how long BD, SCV  and Crown each had their full brass line marching and playing (didn't count soloist or small SCV brass ensemble playing. I wouldn't have counted all of that singing, but for much of it, the brass line was indeed backing her up ... wouldn't call that so demanding .. but credit given).   Also didn't count any body movement stuff made popular by ... Crown.   

The results?

BD: 2:40

SCV 2:00 

Crown: 3:15

I was actually surprised by how little all three brass lines marched traditionally while playing.   Yet, all three were outstanding shows with TONS of movement.   Just not that marching and playing variety by any of them.  The result?  A lot of great movement, and a lot of amazing sound.  Works for me!

Boom goes the dynamite!

• Like 2