Blue Devils 2018

or maybe a Karaoke club where  the equipment breaks and they go on endlessly about how great their one good section is the worlds greatest but never seem to follow up on their one hit show.  It will be called Karaoke Clowns staring Glenda the good witch from Oz.

3 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

It'd be perfect if his son was still in....I think he aged out last night?

Ok. I thought he might have aged out last night. Wasn't sure. Even so i hope GG continues to work with the Devils.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cube said:

I would really like a demanding visual book please.

There was plenty of visual demand in BD's show, but to my tastes, not as much visual interest as in several other corps' shows. (Lots of expert work on individual details that only really work in close up, but I'm more interested in the "big picture".) I do think that there is much merit in hostrauser's post from Friday about most or all corps (not just BD, not by a long shot) are suffering from what he termed "segmentation".

But BD is doing just what the sheets call for, and if other corps' staff are upset about it (who says they are? and not just some fans?), they have only themselves to blame, for either not having pushed for different sheets before, for not realizing what the sheets actually say, or for not attempting to do what BD does. For example, why did Bluecoats march a lot more this year than they did last year when they won if they knew that more marching would probably hurt their score? If it was because that's just what they wanted to do, it's all good, but if it's because they thought that's what would impress the judges, then probably they need to rethink.

But shows generally would be better, or more enjoyable (not that there wasn't plenty to enjoy in BD's show--I cannot get this year's ballad out of my head; it's been an earworm for me all day), if hostrauser's ideas were heeded. In my opinion.

Mind you, BD surely would still win most of the time; they'd just do it differently than they do it now.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

That would be cool... but honestly, the Blue Devils could do 10 minutes of reading names from a phone book and somehow make it work. :tongue:

Hats off to the best drum corps in history!!! :thumbup:

I was thing 12 minutes of Hot Cross Buns but yeah, they can do no wrong lately. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 11:25 PM, Chief Guns said:

Ok BD Nation. Is this upcoming season the year we get our show with all Gordon Goodwin music?

The Blue Devils Big Phat Goodwin Show! :) 

Everyone is wanting to bash BD for doing what everyone else is doing, only a whole lot better than everyone else.  People want to act like every other group is out there doing drill and playing like the '83 Cadets, but nobody is anymore.  Watch every group and see how they all march and play simultaneously about the same amount. Every group is "guilty" (if we are going to indict BD then let's use this term) of playing while not moving more than 20 years ago.  But if we want to complain about what BD is doing, then let's spread the love/hate equally:

-They are not centering half of their show around a vocalist...

-They do not have a choir that sings throughout the entire show...

-They wore head gear with some sort of plume for at least part of their show...

-They wore a more traditional uniform for part of their show...

We could go on like this, but in the end BD got a standing ovation at the end of their show, and oh yeah, in the middle of the show as well.  Let's just enjoy all of the great things that many groups are doing, and stop bashing what we don't like.  We're never all going to like the same things anyway.

Edited by ibexpercussion
fixed a grammar error
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ibexpercussion said:

Everyone is wanting to bash BD for doing what everyone else is doing, only a whole lot better than everyone else.  People want to act like every other group is out there doing drill and playing like the '83 Cadets, but nobody is anymore.  Watch every group and see how much they all march and play simultaneously about the same amount. Every group is "guilty" (if we are going to indict BD then let's use this term) of playing while not moving more than 20 years ago.  But if we want to complain about what BD is doing, then let's spread the love/hate equally:

-They are not centering half of their show around a vocalist...

-They do not have a choir that sings throughout the entire show...

-They wore head gear with some sort of plume for at least part of their show...

-They wore a more traditional uniform for part of their show...

We could go on like this, but in the end BD got a standing ovation at the end of their show, and oh yeah, in the middle of the show as well.  Let's just enjoy all of the great things that many groups are doing, and stop bashing what we don't like.  We're never all going to like the same things anyway.

When you are at the top, people are far more critical of you. It's true in every competitive activity. Blue Stars may do the same exact thing Blue Devils did, but there isn't as much if any concern about how their shows or performances impact the genre.

Bllue Devils have enormous political power in DCI. They are the largest, most financially stable, most successful, and most articulate drum corps organization in the world. What they do has immediate and long lasting impact on what the entire activity deems to be the standard, or the norm. 

When Bluecoats did Kinetic Noise, it was controversial. But when they won the gold with Down Side Up, with the same philosophy and design concept, the entire activity took notice. Because when the dci judges hand you the gold medal, that says this is what every corps should aspire to do and be. It does have ramifications for every corps.

I doubt Scott Chandler is surprised by any of the criticism of his shows. He probably would agree with most all of them. He makes clear and important design choices, and lives with the results. Just as many though not all corps do. He can deal with the criticisms, it literally comes with the territory, and the fans should deal with it as well.

• Like 3