Blue Devils 2018

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm not convinced that good shows using the music of those productions couldn't have been created without A&E (or at least with E). Different? Sure. Maybe not as good in a few cases. But if the argument is that BD isn't good enough to design a winning show without those extras, how does that fly in this thread?

Electronics aren't going away, though. No matter how great it might be for BD to design without any amplification or effects, it's here to stay. Ironically, it's probably here to stay because it's the ONLY option in Winter Guard. And Winter Guard is now driving much of the drum corps design and judging community.

I just don't want music to be secondary in this activity. But crazy enough, I may be in the minority. I just think there are a whole lot of kids who are far more interested in electronics than music. Cavaliers is the least musical show they have ever done as a corps. Ever. And yet it beat the most musical show, and arguably most performance oriented corps, in the acvitity. 

I will be happy for the kids regardless, but I will be cheering for the corps that emphasize music performance at its highest level. With or without electronics.

Edited by MikeRapp

37 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Electronics aren't going away, though. No matter how great it might be for BD to design without any amplification or effects, it's here to stay. Ironically, it's probably here to stay because it's the ONLY option in Winter Guard. And Winter Guard is now driving much of the drum corps design and judging community.

I just don't want music to be secondary in this activity. But crazy enough, I may be in the minority. I just think there are a whole lot of kids who are far more interested in electronics than music. Cavaliers is the least musical show they have ever done as a corps. Ever. And yet it beat the most musical show, and arguably most performance oriented corps, in the acvitity. 

I will be happy for the kids regardless, but I will be cheering for the corps that emphasize music performance at its highest level. With or without electronics.

"Obviously a man ought to be saying, 'I have made an electric battery. Shall I smash it, or shall I make another?' Instead of that, he seems to be bewitched by a sort of magic and stands staring at the thing as if it were a seven-headed dragon; and he can only say, 'The electric battery has come. Has it come to stay?'"

-G.K. Chesterton

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Синие дьяволы снова побеждают.

:spitting:

:laughing:

I dont know if you guys saw this movie (pretty mushy), but I think BD doing a "La La Land" show would be pretty fantastic.  Its a musical, similar to what they did in 2015.  It would be more of a fan favorite show, it being a more recent movie.  Jazz motifs play in and throughout the movie, along with a central slow ballad, that is perfect BD ballad material.  I know its weird, but I really think they could pull it off.  Ballad at 45:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmKlaGpmYig

Edited by BoaDci

On 8/14/2017 at 6:14 PM, MikeRapp said:

You're definitely not in the minority, it's just that most vets and fans who value music over interpretive dance no longer follow or support the activity.  They still value their memories of what it once was, however.  And a few of them continue to fight for sanity and reason, whether there's any chance of those things returning or not.

And I do hope you're wrong about electronics not going away.  Because one of these days, if the power goes out at a regional, and it's cancelled without refund because no one is confident in performing their show WITHOUT electronics....that'll send a very powerful message to the mms, vets, fans and supporters....far more powerful than speakers and mixing boards.

19 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

You're definitely not in the minority, it's just that most vets and fans who value music over interpretive dance no longer follow or support the activity.  They still value their memories of what it once was, however.  And a few of them continue to fight for sanity and reason, whether there's any chance of those things returning or not.

And I do hope you're wrong about electronics not going away.  Because one of these days, if the power goes out at a regional, and it's cancelled without refund because no one is confident in performing their show WITHOUT electronics....that'll send a very powerful message to the mms, vets, fans and supporters....far more powerful than speakers and mixing boards.

While I agree that DCI needs to take a look at affiliation and electronics and set some limits, a loss of power in any stadium is no big deal. All the corps have ultra quiet generators to power their electronics if need be. They have them out and in use at rehearsals all the time. Now there may not be any lights, but the electronics will be ready to go!

Edited by desertrat68

On 8/15/2017 at 6:24 PM, BoaDci said:

I dont know if you guys saw this movie (pretty mushy), but I think BD doing a "La La Land" show would be pretty fantastic.  Its a musical, similar to what they did in 2015.  It would be more of a fan favorite show, it being a more recent movie.  Jazz motifs play in and throughout the movie, along with a central slow ballad, that is perfect BD ballad material.  I know its weird, but I really think they could pull it off.  Ballad at 45:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmKlaGpmYig

I think it would be good, but might be a bit too cheesy of a theme for BD. On the other hand, it would be perfect in the hands of Madison or The Academy, both of which have been able to pull off seemingly cheesy shows really well.

1 hour ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Everyone runs off generators, not a plug-in connection. Dream on.

Edited by BDCorno