Blue Devils 2018

3 hours ago, BDCorno said:

Everyone runs off generators, not a plug-in connection. Dream on.

That's just more equipment with the potential to fail.  Redundancies for tech that makes the kids on the field redundant.

36 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

That's just more equipment with the potential to fail.  Redundancies for tech that makes the kids on the field redundant.

OK, we get it...you hate the electronics. Funny, you sound like a person that marched in 1977, not 1997. Didn't know we had dinosaurs that marched so recently. :laughing:

• Like 3

On 8/12/2017 at 9:35 PM, cube said:

I would really like a demanding visual book please.

Just because you love how Crown does things does not mean what BD does is easy.  It was BD who won Visual this year, and it was by a significant margin.  Perhaps Crown should try something different.  Trying to be an imitation of the Cadets in their prime is not working for them.  BD was moving and playing.  There were lots of things going on with BD including dancing while they were playing.  I really do not want to see a bunch of corps with the same styles on the field.  I love that each corps has their own identity.  

6 hours ago, BDCorno said:

OK, we get it...you hate the electronics. Funny, you sound like a person that marched in 1977, not 1997. Didn't know we had dinosaurs that marched so recently. :laughing:

Hey, you will be a dinosaurs quicker than you think.  The time flies by fast.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 0:41 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm not convinced that good shows using the music of those productions couldn't have been created without A&E (or at least with E). Different? Sure. Maybe not as good in a few cases. But if the argument is that BD isn't good enough to design a winning show without those extras, how does that fly in this thread?

What a ridiculous comment.  BD's staff has been designing winning shows since 1976, eighteen of them to be exact.  They have won with electronics and without, with a pit and without, with tics and without.  You get my point.  Jerry Seawright, the BD founder, hated to lose.  His main priority was that the kids have a great experience, but he is on tape saying how much he disliked not winning.  He knew to win he had to have a great staff, and maintain a stable organization.  I think the reason BD is so successful is because they have really focused on infrastructure.  They do not bring in many new staff, but they hire from within the organization to keep things stable.  They do not have hardly any staff turnover unless someone retires.  It really is a model organization.  They also have never hidden, or changed the fact that they are in it to win it.  However, the season is not considered a failure if they do not win.  It would only be considered a failure if the performers did not give it their all, but they do want to win, doesn't everybody?  My point is obvious, despite all the changes in drum corps that have occurred in the past 41 years, and there are many, the Concord Blue Devils have found a way to win DCI 44% of the time since 1976.   They have not been out of the top 5 since 1974, and in the last 11 years, they have won 7 Gold medals and 4 silver medals.  These are really mind-blowingly amazing accomplishments.   I am sure Jerry Seawright would be proud of what he built.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jmc5682 said:

I marched in the late 90s and I consider myself a dinosaur based on this premise: 

When I marched, I thought the shows from 1978 were FREAKING ANCIENT. Now looking back 20 years from 2018, my stuff is freaking ancient. 

Anyways - just because I'm now a dino doesn't mean I need to come on message boards and #### all over the activity I loved. I still love it. It's very different from when I marched, but it's still Drum Corps. I would love to march in my corps today just like I loved it back then.

Anyways...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I've been a dinosaur. I was on the field for BD title #1 and a couple or three others... I miss G bugles, don't care for some of the newer aspects of the activity all that much, but that's progress for ya.

15 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I think it would be good, but might be a bit too cheesy of a theme for BD. On the other hand, it would be perfect in the hands of Madison or The Academy, both of which have been able to pull off seemingly cheesy shows really well.

Agreed.  I wouldnt consider it out of the realm of possibility though, as much as I love BD they are no stranger to cheesy designs.  I would argue at their core, 2015 and 2011 are the same way, even though I love both of them immensly.