Blue Devils 2018

Just watched BD 2017 for the 20th time since finals and finally decided that it is my favorite of all time, overtaking Filliniesqu. Blue Devils are simply awesome, year after year. Can't wait for 2018 to see what magic they produce (and they will!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mead09 said:

Just watched BD 2017 for the 20th time since finals and finally decided that it is my favorite of all time, overtaking Filliniesqu. Blue Devils are simply awesome, year after year. Can't wait for 2018 to see what magic they produce (and they will!)

I have been watching it some too.  That whole show is powered by great music first and foremost. Their brass and percussion are always stellar, but the composition of that music book really set the stage. They then constructed a visual package that perfectly reflected the music, and over the season added the staging and visual interaction that made the show a true classic. 

Santa Clara is pretty high on that list of classic shows as well. What a great product by them this past summer, and almost equally competitive with the great Blue Devils. It was certainly a magical year for the West Coast. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes,  no doubt.  Also, while there are unusual small numbers of exceptions, the overwhelming vast majority of marchers come from other DCI Corps that had not previously been in a Corps with a better than a 50-50 chance of marching a DCI Championship Corps. That lure, of course, is strong for many marchers who currently march in Corps that compete on the field with the Blue Devils.

Same as it ever was. Some things, despite the changes we hear of all the time in the activity, never change at all. This is but one of them.

There is a town about 25 miles south of Concord that is producing more Blue Devils than any other town in all units. They have two high schools and in 2017 there were 5 from each one. Keep you eye on Foothill and Amador high schools.  They are producing some heavy hitters. 

The guy who starts out Bumblebee just graduated Foothill where my son went and is FE caption head.

On 8/22/2017 at 5:44 AM, jmc5682 said:

Just because you love how Crown does things does not mean what BD does is easy.  It was BD who won Visual this year, and it was by a significant margin.  Perhaps Crown should try something different.  Trying to be an imitation of the Cadets in their prime is not working for them.  BD was moving and playing.  There were lots of things going on with BD including dancing while they were playing.  I really do not want to see a bunch of corps with the same styles on the field.  I love that each corps has their own identity.  

Fighting words!  haha

...and a jab at Sacktig's design? Most likely parroting the current line of what to say in this situation.

Crown's not winning visual wasn't because the design of the visual was bad or something as much as BD was doing what is popular at the moment, which they consistently seem to do and always get rewarded for by the judges.

Variety is king.  That's what will get rewarded the most, all other things being equal.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

At some point, doesn't rewarding variety in a show punish distinctiveness of the corps and commitment to the theme of the show?

Variety of effect and variety of skill displayed are rewarded within the context of the show. 

8 hours ago, skevinp said:

At some point, doesn't rewarding variety in a show punish distinctiveness of the corps and commitment to the theme of the show?

100% YES!  You got it.  "Variety" is the new compulsory.

Instead of having each corps do what they do best and do it "perfectly", it's do this, do that, do the other, and do them pretty well.  ...and no, the execution isn't perfect these days, it's just that they're being asked to do a bunch of others things at the same time, so that's what is amazing.

All just my opinion.

Edited by jjeffeory
Clarification and addition to comment.

4 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

100% YES!  You got it.  "Variety" is the new compulsory.

Instead of having each corps do what they do best and do it "perfectly", it's do this, do that, do the other, and do them pretty well.  ...and no, the execution isn't perfect these days, it's just that they're being asked to do a bunch of others things at the same time, so that's what is amazing.

All just my opinion.

Which, ironically, arguably reduces the amount of variety from corps to corps.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2017 at 11:29 PM, skevinp said:

Which, ironically, arguably reduces the amount of variety from corps to corps.

...and I agree with this statement completely.

Of course the order and implementation is different from corps to corps, but in the end it's probably not so different than any other time in the history of marching arts.

I just wish that a corps could score well by doing what THEY do well, stylistically, as opposed to being required to complete unspoken expect elements of current design.

I really can see the style being bled over into the marching band world this year too.