Blue Devils 2018

I would imagine one big draw is also marching with kids who are mostly around your age and experience. Not many college kids want to spend the summer with 75high schoolers.

13 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I just wish that a corps could score well by doing what THEY do well, stylistically, as opposed to being required to complete unspoken expect elements of current design.

This is how the sheets currently work. Variety of effect (and variety of skills displayed) isn't about doing all of the things that everyone else is doing, it's about doing *multiple* things and doing them well. It rewards corps that aren't one-trick ponies.

Of course, the "But they don't march 5000 pages of drill!" folks hate this approach, but I think it's the right way to do it. Master several different things instead of just one or two.

Corps B doesn't have to do the things Corps A does to be successful, they just have to figure out how to display many skills and effects within the Corps B style.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kamarag said:

This is how the sheets currently work. Variety of effect (and variety of skills displayed) isn't about doing all of the things that everyone else is doing, it's about doing *multiple* things and doing them well. It rewards corps that aren't one-trick ponies.

Of course, the "But they don't march 5000 pages of drill!" folks hate this approach, but I think it's the right way to do it. Master several different things instead of just one or two.

Corps B doesn't have to do the things Corps A does to be successful, they just have to figure out how to display many skills and effects within the Corps B style.

Yea, that's my problem with the sheets.  Nobody really masters multiple things in a season. They do things pretty well, but I wouldn't say master them.  The thing is in the implementation of doing multiple things, there are only so many things that end up being done by all the corps.  The evidence of those things are on display during the season, and what is happening is that the corps end up all doing the same multiple things, but in different combinations.  ...and that's what gets called variety. So in effect, from what I see, corps B DOES have to do so many of the things Corps A does because those are the unspoken compulsories du jour. 

I just believe that a "one-trick" pony corps who has truly mastered what they do should be able to win.  It's not like any corps is going to try and just stand around the whole show and call that their trick.

...but I'm still here, so I'm obviously getting something out of the entertainment of all these corps. I do think it could be even more exciting overall.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Blue Devils Organization plans things properly and early. Audition camps have been going well. Blue Devils " C  " Corps made evaluations for their future Lead Conductor, and via a Video submission by the applicant and the Parents, Blue Devils " C " has chosen Liz Hanzup to be their DM for the 2026 Season. Congratulations Liz Hanzup !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Last summer I was laser-focused on Open Class, so I didn't really pay much attention to BD.  Watched the show once or twice and moved on.  Been listening to it more and more this offseason, and it struck me during their ballad (which is amazingly spectacular) how awesome it is when they bust loose with "classic" jazz stuff.  Man, I've missed that from them.  I hope they keep working it in where they can.

Mike

• Like 4

I think so too... they always have but in the way they did in metamorph is just so juicy and really mesmorizing from that enchanting ballad to that spicy jazz piece is two of many more of moments throughout the show. No one does jazz like the devils omg, juat so good. I was never a fan of jazz until I met the devils, they pull me into that world especially classy classic jazz. But I have to add that Scv 2017 jazz piece was really one of my favorite part the show, I love it! I feel like I want to see a lot more jazz, The devils giving me a jazz fever.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2017 at 8:11 PM, jjeffeory said:

I just believe that a "one-trick" pony corps who has truly mastered what they do should be able to win.  It's not like any corps is going to try and just stand around the whole show and call that their trick.

Oh, but competitors do, and will do it over and over, and over.....

For those of you in the DC area, you will have an opportunity to see the Blue Devils at a live rehearsal in Northern VA again this year.  More info to follow as we finalize our school as the host facility prior to the competition at Navy-Marine Corps stadium in Annapolis, MD on July 31.

• Like 1