Blue Devils 2018

2 minutes ago, gabe211 said:

This is around the time I come out of lurking  :90_wave:

BD is unusually late with the announcement. It's ready to go. Maybe tomorrow?

Until then, here's a clue ..

It's definitely not 1930 part two or even Dada-levels of approach, but think more mid-century culture and movements such as abstract expressionism and color field painting.

Lol welcome back! I have no clue what they are doing, but I am still holding out for my BD show with all Gordon Goodwin music. Hopefully one of these years they will bless us with that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gabe211 said:

It's definitely not 1930 part two or even Dada-levels of approach, but think more mid-century culture and movements such as abstract expressionism and color field painting.

Nighthawks_by_Edward_Hopper_1942.jpg

So a blues/be-bop flavored show with visuals inspired by Mark Rothko and Grant Wood, maybe? I could into that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gabe211 said:

It's definitely not 1930 part two or even Dada-levels of approach, but think more mid-century culture and movements such as abstract expressionism and color field painting.

Nighthawks_by_Edward_Hopper_1942.jpg

I recognize that painting.  It’s titled Nighthawks by Edward Hopper I believe?  David Maslanka has a work for piano and percussion inspired by that painting.  

Interesting.  I’m excited after last year.   

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I recognize that painting.  It’s titled Nighthawks by Edward Hopper I believe?  David Maslanka has a work for piano and percussion inspired by that painting.  

This?

Nice piece! 

Edited by jjeffeory

15 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

This?

Its a beautiful piece. Start so serene almost a haunting quality, like its taking you on a journey so tranquil and calm, very peaceful at rest, then it gets happier in a grand entrance way like dancing in unity, it transition into a little chaotic crazy environment where its turns into drama and as the drama fades or subsided it goes back to where it started from to being serene again.

15 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Interesting indeed. when so many shows seem to be going dark and aggressive i only hope BD goes the opposite direction and just pull us into their world like magnet, the pieces inspired by the painting surely would do that.