Blue Devils 2018

46 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Totally agree with the recent post about BD's recent shows... from 2014 on... being more engaging/entertaining.

I've been a Devils fan since 1973...and honestly, some of their shows, late 2000s through 2013... lost me. 

But since '14... wow!!!

about then was when their props became larger keeping the plebians more entertained? Jazz aficionados don't need props. 

Edited by xandandl
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, xandandl said:

about then was when their props became larger keeping the plebians more entertained? Jazz aficionados don't need props. 

Hey... even Dizzy Gillespie had a gimmick, with the raised horn bell.  :)

One can make a case that true "jazz aficionados" don't even bother with drum corps.... they'll go to a club and check out the real thing with the pros!!! LOL 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

I was talking to a friend (who can’t stand BD) after finals in 2014. They said they hated BD’s show that year, that it was too abstract and they weren’t into thought provoking shows.

You surely can’t judge an entire group by one person, but at that moment, I realized some people will always hate BD because they’re BD.

1 hour ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

I was talking to a friend (who can’t stand BD) after finals in 2014. They said they hated BD’s show that year, that it was too abstract and they weren’t into thought provoking shows.

You surely can’t judge an entire group by one person, but at that moment, I realized some people will always hate BD because they’re BD.

I met a guy who didn't like Felliniesque because BD performed it. He said if any other corps had did that show, he would have been throwing babies maximum distance. But because it was BD and they was going to win, he didn't like it. 

• Like 1

I used to try and understand how people could not like some of BD's shows.  I then realized it has nothing to do with what they put on the field for many people.  A lot of people just hate them because they have won so much.  I grew up 15 minutes from Concord so I have loved BD and SCV since I was 5 years old.  I realized I had the opposite issue of the people who hate some of BD's best shows.  I would say I loved all of BD's shows.  Did I really love Re-Rite of Spring?  I said I did, but it is not a show I ever choose to watch now.  I could watch the shows I really love over and over!  Now, I am honest with myself.  I can always find something to like about any show, but when it comes to SCV and BD I am just never going to be objective.  I am a fanboy or actually a fanman!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

I met a guy who didn't like Felliniesque because BD performed it. He said if any other corps had did that show, he would have been throwing babies maximum distance. But because it was BD and they was going to win, he didn't like it. 

If you slap a dog on Monday (2010), then again on Wednesday (2012), and again on Thursday (2013), don't be surprised, when you reach out to throw him a bone on Friday (2014), if he bites your hand and not the bone.  

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

If you slap a dog on Monday (2010), then again on Wednesday (2012), and again on Thursday (2013), don't be surprised, when you reach out to throw him a bone on Friday (2014), if he bites your hand and not the bone.  

Are you suggesting that people who don’t like BD have the same mental tendencies as dogs?

I kid, I kid!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

What a false equivalency. If you decide to hate a corps just because you don't like their shows, then that's your problem. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

What a false equivalency. If you decide to hate a corps just because you don't like their shows, then that's your problem. 

I don't hate the Blue Devils.  I have been a fan a long time and have spent more money on them than any other corps.  I just understand why some fans would be a little aggravated by the preceding years by the time 2014 rolled around.