Blue Devils 2018

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I met a guy who didn't like Felliniesque because BD performed it. He said if any other corps had did that show, he would have been throwing babies maximum distance. But because it was BD and they was going to win, he didn't like it. 

That’s crazy.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2018 at 4:52 PM, Chief Guns said:

If i could like your post ten times i would. Of course not everyone is in that category, but a majority are. BD could come out and do a show going 230 BPM with break neck drill the entire show, then end on a massive company front with horn line pumping out a volume that moves the stadium 10 feet off it's foundation, some still won't like it if they are in contention to win. 

True true. As we all know, when a corps wins a lot (and BD does) there is going to be burnout within the DCI community and fan base. From my many years watching the activity (1978 to present) I honestly believe most DCI fans have an appreciation or respect for the Blue Devils. I have not run across that many folks who hate them. There are some, but not many.  Some may not care for the show but they respect the staff and marchers. 

DCI is a competitive activity, so fans of other corps would love nothing better than to beat BD.  It's quite an honor and achievement to beat a corps like BD. Doesn't happen often. Usually when fans want their corps to score higher they will find more weaknesses (perceived or real) with their competitors. That's just part of the game.

Having said the above, there were fans like myself who loved the Blue Devils from 76 - 86, and while I enjoyed 92 and 93 (especially brass) I felt their 90s shows presented a change in style that bordered on choppy. Of course, this became the case with many corps during that time.  BD in the 90s was highly criticized for what some referred to as "chop n bop."  Some of this continued in the 2000s, and in 2008 they began down a path visually that brought them to this point. Not everyone enjoyed it, even if they had great respect for BD.  To this day I believe those who are critical of them are that way in large part due to visual design and the style of integration they employ. 

Admittedly it took me a while to grab onto their visual style, but recent shows have been so good that I really love what I am seeing.  I sometimes yearn for a bit more traditional marching, but that's just a personal desire.  On a whole I have loved their shows from 2014 to now, but 2011 was awesome for me musically. 2010 was a joy for me in all phases even though I could see that not many in the stands enjoyed that style of show. 

But even among the most critical of fans I do feel most have a VERY HIGH appreciation and respect for BD brass, percussion, guard, and marching technique. Simply put they are amazing!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I used to try and understand how people could not like some of BD's shows.  I then realized it has nothing to do with what they put on the field for many people.  A lot of people just hate them because they have won so much.  I grew up 15 minutes from Concord so I have loved BD and SCV since I was 5 years old.  I realized I had the opposite issue of the people who hate some of BD's best shows.  I would say I loved all of BD's shows.  Did I really love Re-Rite of Spring?  I said I did, but it is not a show I ever choose to watch now.  I could watch the shows I really love over and over!  Now, I am honest with myself.  I can always find something to like about any show, but when it comes to SCV and BD I am just never going to be objective.  I am a fanboy or actually a fanman!

I can't recall a year when BD was my favorite corps/show, going back to 1976. I've admired them and liked some of their shows a lot, but there have always been other corps/shows I liked a bit better. Felliniesque, however, is probably the best show I have ever seen, in both performance and design. It was just sooooo far ahead of everybody else, even a 2 1/2 point spread over 2nd place seems artificially low. Just the most amazing corps/show I ever saw since I saw my first show in September of 1963.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I can't recall a year when BD was my favorite corps/show, going back to 1976. I've admired them and liked some of their shows a lot, but there have always been other corps/shows I liked a bit better. Felliniesque, however, is probably the best show I have ever seen, in both performance and design. It was just sooooo far ahead of everybody else, even a 2 1/2 point spread over 2nd place seems artificially low. Just the most amazing corps/show I ever saw since I saw my first show in September of 1963.

It’s Jim’s all-time favorite show. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

I don't hate the Blue Devils.  I have been a fan a long time and have spent more money on them than any other corps.  I just understand why some fans would be a little aggravated by the preceding years by the time 2014 rolled around.

I guess. I think those fans might be a little too focused on the competitive aspect.  JWillis makes a good point about the burn out though.

On 6/8/2018 at 3:22 PM, Triple Forte said:

For me personally this  couldn't be further from the truth.  I'm looking for a kickbuttvshow that gets me excited about what they're doing I could care less if they've won one time or 60 times  and I bet I'm not alone in that thought.  
No, but there aren't as many who that share that view as you think

Take last years ballad by BD long melodic phrases of music and what happen ? A huge reaction from the crowd.  do you  honestly think people who didn't want BD to win sat  on her hands during that moment?
Oh, there were plenty. Trust me, I was right in the middle of it all. Lots of crowd reaction, but plenty of lemon-suckers too.

Maybe the marching band crowd does but anyone who have been around drum corps would never sit at that moment . 
Well, you've stumbled upon the answer right there.

Interesting, though...most of the criticism that I hear from the drum corps background haters revolves around "BD stands and plays all the time". Though it's certainly NOT true, if there was a piece in which the show succeeded the most in terms of entertaining, that was it. I'm really growing weary of those who view old-school marching as the only acceptable or recognized "moving" on the field. The activity has progressed, and pedestrian point-to-point, form-to-form marching is only a component of a much bigger and more developed movement vocabulary and choreography trend. Those who ignore or fail to recognize the new school movement books from corps, deprive themselves of appreciating the demands and accomplishment of the performers. Pretty sad IMHO.   

Edited by BDCorno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, skevinp said:

If you slap a dog on Monday (2010), then again on Wednesday (2012), and again on Thursday (2013), don't be surprised, when you reach out to throw him a bone on Friday (2014), if he bites your hand and not the bone.  

Less Whacks and more Snacks? :lol:

• Haha 1