Blue Devils 2018

Gosh, that is a good old-fashioned drum corps arrangement. 

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2018 at 4:32 PM, MikeD said:

[regarding BD 2014]. Just the most amazing corps/show I ever saw since I saw my first show in September of 1963.

I haven't seen anywhere near the number of shows you have seen,  but this one was the only one I saw in early season and thought "Everyone else is toast, this show is awesome".

• Like 2

2014 was magic.  I remember sitting there at the Ft. Wayne show early July and the Bluecoats had just lit us up with a very tight run of Tilt.   Everyone was wondering if we were going to see someone pass BD for the first time this season.  Some of Bloo's staff came and sat behind us for BD's run and when it was done we heard him mutter, "That's 16."  The BD volunteer sitting next to me mentioned, "I don't know, they seemed tired and kind of flat after the ballad."  As much as the show blew everyone away, it was noticeable that they could could do better in closing the show (new closers weren't on the field yet for competition.) 

When scores came out, BD won by around a point and I was rather surprised that it was even that close.  I think that was as close as anyone got that year.  La Strada was just amazing that night.  As good as Bloo's Hymn was, it was those pauses and entrances at the end of  La Strada the seemed to suck the warm summer air right out of the stadium.

• Like 2

One thing I've always wondered is what do the members of the Blue Devils think of the shows from other corps? The BD organization just seems to be on a tier all their own, now. Do the members only dig what they are doing or do they appreciate the shows from those below them? I recall in 2014 the members seemed really curious about the Bluecoats after the finals scores were announced. 

they are the ballad kings lately

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, quietcity said:

Gosh, that is a good old fashioned drum corps arrangement. 

Musically satisfying for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

One thing I've always wondered is what do the members of the Blue Devils think of the shows from other corps? The BD organization just seems to be on a tier all their own, now. Do the members only dig what they are doing or do they appreciate the shows from those below them? I recall in 2014 the members seemed really curious about the Bluecoats after the finals scores were announced. 

There's a lot of appreciation for what other corps are doing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, corps8294 said:

About a week or two after finals in 2003, I was walking past my old apartment building in Seattle and saw two guys outside tossing rifles. Turns out they marched BD. I congratulated them on their win, and being a Regiment fan, I mentioned that I couldn't wait to get the DVD to see them. Back then we didn't have streaming. I said, "it seems like they were pretty good this year." One replied, "They were pretty #### good" and they went on and on about how much they loved Regiment's show.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2