Blue Devils 2018

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

Excellent but modern drum corps does nothing for me. Runs standing and loud chords standing.

Then why are you still here?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

He's entitled to share his opinion..whether you or others disagree or think he's a grumpy old dinosaur.  I'd bet money that someone who marched in the 50/60's was complaining about the changes they saw in the 70's and 80's and how things had moved from a military focus to more of an arts focus.  In a way it's good to have disagreement and folks who think it was better back in the day (hell I've been known to be one of those)-  makes it fun!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

1 minute ago, scout9193 said:

He's entitled to share his opinion..whether you or others disagree or think he's a grumpy old dinosaur.  I'd bet money that someone who marched in the 50/60's was complaining about the changes they saw in the 70's and 80's and how things had moved from a military focus to more of an arts focus.  In a way it's good to have disagreement and folks who think it was better back in the day (hell I've been known to be one of those)-  makes it fun!

42 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Ok.  Lets not go there. It’s his opinion just like mine and yours. 

34 minutes ago, afd said:

Ok.  Lets not go there. It’s his opinion just like mine and yours. 

It's fine if its his opinion. I just don't understand why people continue to watch and participate in something they know they'll hate. I think life's too short to continually make yourself miserable, but hey, that's just my opinion.

I just cannot stop watching this show.  I'm already in love with it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btown50 said:

I just cannot stop watching this show.  I'm already in love with it. 

Agreed! Can't wait to see it live in SoCal. Will definitely be at rehearsals when they get to Grand Terrace. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

The theme mixing with Harlem Nocturne is "Laura," which was in the 2010 show.

Using things as a jumping-off point for my own thoughts:

I talked about "Nighthawks" with my sister's roommate, who majors in art history. She pointed out that one of the points of emphasis in analysis of the work is that the diner doesn't have a door. Given that and what I just watched, I'm guessing the closer is finishing assembling the windows around the counter, and the people sitting at said counter breaking out. Ideally with a return to "Laura" as a last hit (a la 2010).

I also expect that the two guard guys standing next to each other not doing anything yet in the electronics feature that sounds like a fight are waiting for fight choreography.

All in all, good stuff here. Definitely a BD show I like a lot music-wise. "Natural Woman" feels more choreographed than I would like (as opposed to feeling natural while actually being choreographed), but that'll probably (hopefully) get better as they settle into it more (though it didn't with the jazz park and bark in the closer last year). And I imagine it'll go full '92 by the end of the year. (Related: I want the uniform to be a stylized suit jacket this year, partly to tie into the painting, partly to get the open-shirt effect from '92.)

All in all, a BD show I generally like, which bodes well for them (in that the only show of theirs I haven't liked in the 2014-2017 range was the one that didn't win).

Thanks for the update on some of the things I missed. I realized, after writing that little review, that they really didn't have their closer on the field yet. I am definitely a fan of this show and I think you're right about the fight between those two guys. With the right tweaks and finishing touches this could be an amazing show!

For those who can't quite wrap their heads around the process BD uses to create their shows, they spell it out for you in this video. A huge part of the visual design really is done on the spot, created in real time by the staff moving people around the field to get the kind of composition that will realize their vision for the show.

They come in with a set of emphasis points or "moments" that they know need to be there and define those first. Then everything in between is basically improvised to create the best entrances and exits from those points. Along they way, sheer happenstance creates other moments. The show isn't fully formed until the last week of the season.

I absolutely love the approach because it is the same way professional artists (such as myself) work. You start with ideas and you don't know how exactly you are going to realize them, but keeping a lock on your vision, it all eventually comes together. It's quite a contrast to the rather calculated method that is used by a lot of other corps.

The staff really has to be pinching themselves these days, as they now have a talent pool of musicians who can move like dancers. This was not really the case even five years ago. What a world of possibilities it has opened up.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BDCorno said:

Nononononononono....all they do is stand around. SMH.

All they do is sit at the bar. Oh wait, that's the BD alumni.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2