Blue Devils 2018

I couldn’t be more impressed by how much cleaner the corps is overall, but especially the guard. 

Also just noticed the boys’ saber toss exchanges during that sultry soprano solo after the drum break — wow. 

Gotta say, though, anyone placing BD over SCV at this stage might be jumping the gun a little. SCV’s really onto something. BD is too, obviously, but SCV’s got their boot firmly placed on BD’s neck. Gonna be a great season. 

Edited by saxfreq1128

14 minutes ago, Lance said:

every caption for BD is strong, but it's not all clicking together yet

it will

just remember, we are now 3 days / 5.7% done with the season

Every caption for SCV is strong, but it's not all clicking together yet, either.

I was at the show tonight. Both were absolutely amazing, but I think SCV wins when it comes to design right now, and their hornline is for real. They will challenge BD and Crown and Bloo in brass all season, and winning the Ott is not out of the question either.

Personally, I feel they will both again be 1-2 at finals, but I think it might be flipped this year. SCV's show is so different and unique. BD's is just BD, and that is a compliment. They are always so great and this year is no exception. I absolutely loved BD's show and the guard book is phenomenal. It's going to be fun to watch these two duke it out all season. I just feel Vanguard has something really special this year - one of the legendary shows that people are going to be talking about for years to come. I was completely blown away (by both actually, just a little more by SCV).

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Every caption for SCV is strong, but it's not all clicking together yet, either.

congrats on being wherever you were tonight. i couldn't possibly care less. 

SCV and Bloo have my 2 favorite shows so far this year by a longshot.

but this is the BD thread, not the SCV thread.

Edited by Lance
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Lance said:

post about BD vs. their closest competition (for the second year in a row!) is more relevant to this thread than your post denoting whichever posts you don’t care about. 

So maybe take your own advice. And relax! 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

There is a battle of two different approaches going on: The rigidly calculated SCV approach vs. the “make up a bunch of it on the spot” BD approach. BD’s historical caption dominance in the West has allowed them a lot of wiggle room to experiment without taking any loses in the past decade, but now that SCV has risen, I would expect them to take some licks while they shape their program. They barely escaped getting nipped last year as well.

From what I saw last night, the portion of the show SCV has on the field looks considerably more “locked,” while big chunks of the BD show (especially everything after the ballad) seem like the most preliminary of sketches at the moment. 

It will be a fun ride.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NakedEye said:

There is a battle of two different approaches going on: The rigidly calculated SCV approach vs. the “make up a bunch of it on the spot” BD approach. BD’s historical caption dominance in the West has allowed them a lot of wiggle room to experiment without taking any loses in the past decade, but now that SCV has risen, I would expect them to take some licks while they shape their program. They barely escaped getting nipped last year as well.

yeah you capture it perfectly — In BD’s show, anything is subject to change (there’s a great line about this in one of their preseason tour videos; a member says they might spend all day on something and then scrap it the next day, which is so BD lol). You can see this is the openness of their visual design; you can probably expect to see the more intricate drill on finals night, but the rest, who knows!

SCV meanwhile is intricate from the start; very carefully laid out and planned, ready to be refined over the coming months but not changed. 

What really impresses me is that both shows are just this amazing mix of old new  I really hope the people complaining about the WGI-ification of DCI sit up and take a close look, because IMO, both these shows are perfect examples of how WGI techniques can still be extremely drum corps. Very proud of these groups — all the groups, but especially these two. 

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Dude, that was really not cool.  We can certainly discuss other corps in a BD thread...they don't compete in a vacuum, and the rivalry between them and SCV is WHY they've booth been so great over the years.

Take a chill pill.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lance said:

Here Lance...

Have a Snickers...

:innocent:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Lance said:

You cared enough to respond.