Blue Devils 2018

21 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I think we will have no idea how this ends up until the very last day. This show reminds me of Ink in that it looks like it will take every minute of the season to assemble to a form of completion. They're attempting to present a complex idea of four characters with distinctly identifiable identities and personalities (all expressed through movement and music - no nanny narration to help) who happen to have their paths cross in the diner. That's quite a challenge.

On a random note, who else noticed that the idea of staging a drum feature on a pyramid-type prop has become quite popular this year? Last year BD started it on the stairs/diamonds and now BOTH SCV and Bloo have their own versions of it on their props. :winky:

Which is why Ink is one of my all time favorite shows. Everyone around BD was going 1st to 3rd, 3rd to 1st, winning regional's that year. BD was just coasting along in 2nd pretty much the entire season, and then had the run of their lives on finals night. Loved it. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, tedrick said:

question about the opener - is it intended to be evocative of a rushing train/metro? Or is it just me? What is the musical piece of the opener?

In one of the vids, Scott Chandler said it was something like a taxi ride from hell, I think, so yeah pretty much!

• Like 3

On 7/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, tedrick said:

question about the opener - is it intended to be evocative of a rushing train/metro? Or is it just me? What is the musical piece of the opener?

[dupe]

Edited by saxfreq1128

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Which is why Ink is one of my all time favorite shows. Everyone around BD was going 1st to 3rd, 3rd to 1st, winning regional's that year. BD was just coasting along in 2nd pretty much the entire season, and then had the run of their lives on finals night. Loved it. 

That show was the best concept and I loved the music. the drum book? F f f f f f fuuuudge Ink will always be my favorite show.

Hmmm ... just noticed this on the counter. Is The Wife a closet BD fan as well as a wine connoisseur??? Say it isn't so!

J/K -- Have a great season!

dAWUdy0.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

8 hours ago, btown50 said:

Incredible production quality as always 

If anyone thinks a BD show is “boring” and “easy” and don’t understand why it was a championship show, they should watch these videos and they’ll get an idea. 

The level of detail and subtle/hidden difficulty is incredible. I know nothing about percussion but it was pretty enlightening to have that drum break in the 2nd section broken down, I did not realize all the little working parts that were happening as well as the way the snares have to interact with the marimbas during the break

This show is going to be something else

• Like 2

The funny thing about the breaking down of the battery book my son came by today between blocks to relax and nap a little. We started watching video of the very parts they covered and he totally broke it down for me even better than they did in the video. For a pit instructor he knows his stuff on drumming. 

I love how the BD parts in all sections make you rewind and πlay over and over. It's just "Wait...did they do what i think they did" "Ohhh no it's even more involved than I thought" kind of thing.

Cadets have a really good book this year. Too bad they didn't come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1