Blue Devils 2018

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

The heck with the placement.......i can't wait to congratulate BD on being the sixth corps to break 80! Whatever that means since all the top corps break 80 every year lol.

Lol

Congrats to Blue Devils for your win tonite... I enjoy your show this summer too !

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

The heck with the placement.......i can't wait to congratulate BD on being the sixth corps to break 80! Whatever that means since all the top corps break 80 every year lol.

The 80's are over man. shave off that mullet.

This is a great year for those of us that live in the Bay Area and happen to be fans of both BD and Vanguard.  I believe they are the two best corps on the field this year and I'm enjoying both shows.  There were a few years there where Blue Devils were a bit too esoteric and fans had trouble appreciating the shows.  But the last several years BD has hit it out of the park in terms of design.  They've been innovative - more so than any other corps IMO - and yet have produced shows that are accessible and entertaining for anyone to watch.  This years show is no exception.  The choice of music is fantastic from beginning to end.  It fits the theme and the horn arrangements are more lush than anything else on the field.  It's a great musical book - the kind you want to listen to over and over again.  And the design is fascinating.  So much going on and a huge amount of thought given to how each corps member creates a character of their own.  Great show.  However they place this year (I'm sure it'll be top 3) the show is already one of my all time favorites.

This is a BD thread so I'll say less about Vanguard.  I'll just say that in over 20 years of watching Vanguard live this is without question the strongest corps they've ever fielded.  Their show is awesome and those of us here in the Bay Area should be proud to have two corps of this caliber in our area.  No other part of the country has such bragging rights.

Edited by bayareafan
spelling error
  • Like 4

BD Show is really finding it's tune to sing this summer, the show is growing into this unbelievable monster! seriously it's just really being fine tune to perfection each week. the color guard is getting better and better and better, so good, you can feel the chemistry between them even through the stream and youtube videos. I don't care what no one saying! I HAVE NO DOUBT IN THIS SHOW FROM THE START. 

No matter the hype around many corps about wining gold and who may have better designs than BD this year, fine that's your opinion, but i beg to differ on that note about they having better designs, I wholeheartedly DISAGREE 100%. C corp and B corps do have great designed shows very strong in contention for gold but not better design over BD. It's really come down to Orange and Apples appeal for the fans and judges, It's what you and i preferred in comparing them this year. However it will definitely come down to fine tuning and building out a complete show maxing out as much as possible on the judges sheet, cemented with the best overall performance that will determine who win gold and who are runner ups for silver and bronze. whichever one BD gets i will still feel very proud of this show because it's ####### Stunning! I love it. and i really love the other shows too, the top six this year is really a great big WOW! BC AND SCV  i love those shows man, but i bleed BD always! 

• Like 3

On 7/8/2018 at 3:48 AM, bayareafan said:

They've been innovative - more so than any other corps IMO - and yet have produced shows that are accessible and entertaining for anyone to watch.

The only thing I would like to respectfully take exception with what you said is the “innovative” part.  I’m curious as to why you feel they have been so innovative (and more so than any other corps).

Ecellent performers, fantastic design, and as of late, more fan-friendly - but what makes them so innovative (i.e putting things out on the field that no other corps has ever done)?

I brought this same topic up in a separate thread a while back, and I learned a lot from the responses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

The only thing I would like to respectfully take exception with what you said is the “innovative” part.  I’m curious as to why you feel they have been so innovative (and more so than any other corps).

Ecellent performers, fantastic design, and as of late, more fan-friendly - but what makes them so innovative (i.e putting things out on the field that no other corps has ever done)?

I brought this same topic up in a separate thread a while back, and I learned a lot from the responses.

They were definitely at the forefront of staging, as opposed to traditional drill. 2012, for example. A really different approach to moving people around and transitions between songs. 

I think they were the first to really add a lot of body to the battery as well. 2008 comes to mind with them moving all around through each other, rather than staying in tight formations of snares, tenors, etc. That plus all the lunges, leg kicks, tilting, bending while playing drums, etc. It's considered routine now, but I recall finding it very radical the first time they did it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Their approach to the visual package, staging vs drill, movement, texture and musical pacing have all been innovative, imo. Other corps have started to emulate that approach and put their own unique spin on it. Calling BD innovative doesn't imply other corps aren't innovative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theonlyfizzle said:

BD Show is really finding it's tune to sing this summer, the show is growing into this unbelievable monster! seriously it's just really being fine tune to perfection each week. the color guard is getting better and better and better, so good, you can feel the chemistry between them even through the stream and youtube videos. I don't care what no one saying! I HAVE NO DOUBT IN THIS SHOW FROM THE START. 

No matter the hype around many corps about wining gold and who may have better designs than BD this year, fine that's your opinion, but i beg to differ on that note about they having better designs, I wholeheartedly DISAGREE 100%. C corp and B corps do have great designed shows very strong in contention for gold but not better design over BD. It's really come down to Orange and Apples appeal for the fans and judges, It's what you and i preferred in comparing them this year. However it will definitely come down to fine tuning and building out a complete show maxing out as much as possible on the judges sheet, cemented with the best overall performance that will determine who win gold and who are runner ups for silver and bronze. whichever one BD gets i will still feel very proud of this show because it's ####### Stunning! I love it. and i really love the other shows too, the top six this year is really a great big WOW! BC AND SCV  i love those shows man, but i bleed BD always! 

As the program stands currently, I think they have two excellent shows. Number 1 is the opener through the ballad, and the "Laura" reprise to the end. Number 2 is the chanting/drumming/drill from the end of the ballad to the "Laura" reprise. Each time the ballad finishes and the next part begins, I feel like I'm resetting and watching something new, that is very cool, but has a totally different feel from everything leading up to it. I'm very interested to see how they explain that part or how they change it to feel more a part of the cohesive whole. It obviously has a purpose, but the clarity is not there right now, and there is a real opportunity to add significant GE in this section.

The threat from Bluecoats is they are crystal clear in intent from beginning to end. I saw it live last night and it is expertly designed. SCV I'm less sure of. They have significant portions that seem like extraneous fireworks to me.

Over the next month, the winner may be determined by who fine-tunes their message the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1