Blue Devils 2018

13 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

BD Show is really finding it's tune to sing this summer, the show is growing into this unbelievable monster! seriously it's just really being fine tune to perfection each week. the color guard is getting better and better and better, so good, you can feel the chemistry between them even through the stream and youtube videos. I don't care what no one saying! I HAVE NO DOUBT IN THIS SHOW FROM THE START. 

No matter the hype around many corps about wining gold and who may have better designs than BD this year, fine that's your opinion, but i beg to differ on that note about they having better designs, I wholeheartedly DISAGREE 100%. C corp and B corps do have great designed shows very strong in contention for gold but not better design over BD. It's really come down to Orange and Apples appeal for the fans and judges, It's what you and i preferred in comparing them this year. However it will definitely come down to fine tuning and building out a complete show maxing out as much as possible on the judges sheet, cemented with the best overall performance that will determine who win gold and who are runner ups for silver and bronze. whichever one BD gets i will still feel very proud of this show because it's ####### Stunning! I love it. and i really love the other shows too, the top six this year is really a great big WOW! BC AND SCV  i love those shows man, but i bleed BD always! 

Completely agree with you, BD still has the best design this year, it’s really interesting to see hoa many people are slotting BD into 3rd

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Completely agree with you, BD still has the best design this year, it’s really interesting to see hoa many people are slotting BD into 3rd

even more out of medal contention at all. Guess they just don't like going to the dentist.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Gotta disagree with you on most recognizable hornline. I have to give those honors to BD. No corps has the soprano-leaning balance that they do, it’s a pure jazz sound. Crown takes a much more traditional pyramid approach to balance that many other corps use, the only difference is that Crown reaches more clarity than other corps do. 

Also, the storyline in this BD show is still being fleshed out, but I’d watch the latest BD360 if you want a quick and dirty explanation of what’s going on

Agreed on Crown vs BD.

I love the BD360 videos, but I shouldn’t have to watch videos to understand the storyline and concept.

From a technical standpoint, BD always excels at designing a show that demonstrates a wide variety of playing and marching abilities. They always have the most experienced corps, so they are always going to have a big advantage because of what they can design and then execute. Call it cleaning or layering, Scott has the tools and creativity to design shows that improve and perfect as the season progresses.

That said, this show seems very disjointed, and currently it lacks milestones that anchor the story. This was a strong point of Tempest, and as the season progressed those milestones got stronger. This year, I don’t really get the story at all. It’s not unlike Crown, where I don’t really feel like the show pays off my 11 minutes of commitment the way SCV, Boston, Cavaliers and Bluecoats do.

In the past, BD was often criticized for designing shows to the scoring methodology, and the concept took a back seat to technical execution. Scores were often long series of clips from disparate sources, pieced together to gain points with judges. But in the last few years, they seem to have changed their direction and focused on the overall story first, and built an emotional journey. This has been the path to winning under the newer DCI scoring methodologies and it has imo brought much more fan friendly shows. This year, I love the idea behind this show, it’s very unique and interesting, but the show design itself never really works for me. I never feel the journey, I’m ever really more than an observer. Contrast that with SCV and Bluecoats and even Boston and Cavaliers, where I always seem to be “in” the concept from beginning to end.

no team knows how to build shows better than BD, and they have the talent and Creative chops to change and build as the season progresses. There is no doubt they have the technical skills in all areas to medal every year, and they will be hard to push out of the top three because of this. But both BD and Crown have work to do, imo, to remain in the hunt. Both shows lack something significant in storytelling and GE.

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Agreed on Crown vs BD.

I love the BD360 videos, but I shouldn’t have to watch videos to understand the storyline and concept.

From a technical standpoint, BD always excels at designing a show that demonstrates a wide variety of playing and marching abilities. They always have the most experienced corps, so they are always going to have a big advantage because of what they can design and then execute. Call it cleaning or layering, Scott has the tools and creativity to design shows that improve and perfect as the season progresses.

That said, this show seems very disjointed, and currently it lacks milestones that anchor the story. This was a strong point of Tempest, and as the season progressed those milestones got stronger. This year, I don’t really get the story at all. It’s not unlike Crown, where I don’t really feel like the show pays off my 11 minutes of commitment the way SCV, Boston, Cavaliers and Bluecoats do.

In the past, BD was often criticized for designing shows to the scoring methodology, and the concept took a back seat to technical execution. Scores were often long series of clips from disparate sources, pieced together to gain points with judges. But in the last few years, they seem to have changed their direction and focused on the overall story first, and built an emotional journey. This has been the path to winning under the newer DCI scoring methodologies and it has imo brought much more fan friendly shows. This year, I love the idea behind this show, it’s very unique and interesting, but the show design itself never really works for me. I never feel the journey, I’m ever really more than an observer. Contrast that with SCV and Bluecoats and even Boston and Cavaliers, where I always seem to be “in” the concept from beginning to end.

no team knows how to build shows better than BD, and they have the talent and Creative chops to change and build as the season progresses. There is no doubt they have the technical skills in all areas to medal every year, and they will be hard to push out of the top three because of this. But both BD and Crown have work to do, imo, to remain in the hunt. Both shows lack something significant in storytelling and GE.

I still don’t understand what SCV is really going for, their concept gets completely lost from me past the uniforms, and I imagine a lot of the audience does not understand the story or concept either but still enjoy it because of the music. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, xandandl said:

even more out of medal contention at all. Guess they just don't like going to the dentist.

There's a lot of people that just want to believe BD is out of the hunt.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I still don’t understand what SCV is really going for, their concept gets completely lost from me past the uniforms, and I imagine a lot of the audience does not understand the story or concept either but still enjoy it because of the music. 

Yeah.  Music is great.  I still can't get pass the lack of anything significant visually.  If BD put out a show with a visual design like that the haters would be blowing the board up.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

SCV also has a video if you dont understand the concept just like BD360.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

From a technical standpoint, BD always excels at designing a show that demonstrates a wide variety of playing and marching abilities. They always have the most experienced corps, so they are always going to have a big advantage because of what they can design and then execute. Call it cleaning or layering, Scott has the tools and creativity to design shows that improve and perfect as the season progresses....no team knows how to build shows better than BD, and they have the talent and Creative chops to change and build as the season progresses. There is no doubt they have the technical skills in all areas to medal every year, and they will be hard to push out of the top three because of this. But both BD and Crown have work to do, imo, to remain in the hunt. Both shows lack something significant in storytelling and GE.

I very much agree with this post, especially the statements in bold.  BD is clearly the premier corps and organization.  I have no doubt they could medal even with a bad show design every year (which is not the case) purely based on talent and experience!  I'm shocked with the number of people discounting them in early July.  They will be in the hunt for gold next month, as they always are.   All that said, I enjoy the heck out of all the details and subtle things in BD shows every single year.  It looks simple but it's incredible difficult.  BUT this year, the show is not as exciting or as enjoyable to watch compared to other shows out there, or compared to past BD shows. That doesn't mean it's not hard and full of crazy top talent.  BD might be the only corps I can watch and say that I didn't enjoy the show  BUT they should still win!

Edited by Den8uml

1 hour ago, Den8uml said:

I very much agree with this post, especially the statements in bold.  BD is clearly the premier corps and organization.  I have no doubt they could medal even with a bad show design every year purely based on talent and experience!  s. That doesn't mean it's not hard and full of crazy top talent.  BD might be the only corps I can watch and say that I didn't enjoy the show  BUT they should still win!

2005 would like a word with you (which, btw, was the last year BD did NOT medal)

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I can't get past the uniforms...yuck!