Blue Devils 2018

11 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I’m kind of enjoying seeing “Natural Woman” come together over the course of the season. It’s not there for me yet, but I think the drill changes are a funny experiment. I’m starting to call that one part the “pod races.” 

From a rehearsal run just posted on YT, the crazy section after the company front looks like it has even harder drill? They’re doing more with individual MMs falling out of the form, it seems?  

I love the pod races! What's great about that addition, with the the individuals stepping out early and running to join with others, is it ties in with the body stuff they were already doing during the drum part after the ballad - the mass block where they stutter back and forth and some move over a few spots, then others follow, etc. 

It's a cool effect, like something moving in and out of focus. As usual, all the enhancements are making the show so much more cohesive. They really are the masters at this.

It looks like they are going to do an image change on the flats that form the streetscape for the diner now? Practicing with pulling something off about 2/3 into the show.

This has to be one of the hardest visual/movement/drill shows they have done in many years, and I daresay it looks more challenging than some of their immediate competition at the moment. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

One particular year comes to mind...

Yep. 1978

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Against the popular opinion i will throw in 2008.

Pretty much any 8 will do... :mat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder what this week will be like for The Blue Devils. Heading to Sanantonio and having won last night so closely to Bluecoats, will we see any more addition and layering or changes ???. I think they could work a little more on the general effects . Three incredible shows oozing general effects would love if BD get a boost in that caption compare to SCV and BC. The energy they brought was electrifying and do look like the firce BD I know. They really competed so strongly with what they have finish so far. Visual is not  problem for them so staying on top of that caption is very easy for them even though this show is particularly more challenging. I have to admit they are having mic issues, sometimes sounds coming from the mic in places with solos seem to be on when not to and sometimes interupts the flow a little.

Tomorrow they compete against SCV lets see how that goes.  Otherwise they are improving faster than any other corps it's amazing watch.. like wow! They are dangerous with this level of improvements weekly.

Any thoughts anyone on this week BD ?

Edited by theonlyfizzle
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

I wonder what this week will be like for The Blue Devils. Heading to Sanantonio and having won last night so closely to Bluecoats, will we see any more addition and layering or changes ???

They made a few changes to the opener yesterday. I'm sure there will be more before Saturday.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

I wonder what this week will be like for The Blue Devils. Heading to Sanantonio and having won last night so closely to Bluecoats, will we see any more addition and layering or changes ???. I think they could work a little more on the general effects . Three incredible shows oozing general effects would love if BD get a boost in that caption compare to SCV and BC. The energy they brought was electrifying and do look like the firce BD I know. They really competed so strongly with what they have finish so far. Visual is not  problem for them so staying on top of that caption is very easy for them even though this show is particularly more challenging. I have to admit they are having mic issues, sometimes sounds coming from the mic in places with solos seem to be on when not to and sometimes interupts the flow a little.

Tomorrow they compete against SCV lets see how that goes.  Otherwise they are improving faster than any other corps it's amazing watch.. like wow! They are dangerous with this level of improvements weekly.

Any thoughts anyone on this week BD ?

This will be like any other week for them during the season tours. They all know the competition is now equal and they have a big impact on that. SCV for now is the front runner and it will be great to see what comes of it. But it's nice to see what will happen in the next few weeks. Reminds me of 2015.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcsnare93 said:

They made a few changes to the opener yesterday. I'm sure there will be more before Saturday.

Oh yes.. thanks.  you like the changes ?

Edited by theonlyfizzle

37 minutes ago, afd said:

This will be like any other week for them during the season tours. They all know the competition is now equal and they have a big impact on that. SCV for now is the front runner and it will be great to see what comes of it. But it's nice to see what will happen in the next few weeks. Reminds me of 2015.

It sure is, uh... sadly i didn't follow through the process 2015 to see how this year compares, but i know they really had competition and i remember them getting second a couple times, even i was thinking it was gonna be a Carolina crown 2nd win that year, in which they would have deserved it, if it had went that way, boy was i wrong and felt the energy of the BD kids rising through finals and earning that gold, it was one of my favorite finals because of the story for BD. That experience only add more dept and strength to the organization and will carry that lesson over to this year. seeing the show is taking the entire season to come together. i am really having good time just watching.... curiosity sometimes kills me, but i remember it's the blue devils.

• Like 2

What's with all the body movements this year?  Geez.  More than they've ever done.  I think it's overdone personally.  Every held chord and hornline stab a quarter-note or longer that is not done while marching has some sort of body movement.  I actually think it takes away from the show.  When it's done here and there it can be a nice effect.  When it looks like they're just throwing in body movements for the sake of doing it,  it adds nothing imo.  I understand that's just where DCI is right now, WGI on a football field, but I wish they'd tone it down.

Edited by mboogey73