Blue Devils 2018

3 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

What's with all the body movements this year?  Geez.  More than they've ever done.  I think it's overdone personally.  Every held chord and hornline stab a quarter-note or longer that is not done while marching has some sort of body movement.  I actually think it takes away from the show.  When it's done here and there it can be a nice effect.  When it looks like they're just throwing in body movements for the sake of doing it,  it adds nothing imo.  I understand that's just where DCI is right now, WGI on a football field, but I wish they'd tone it down.

At the same time though, they haven’t done this much formal drill in a show in a pretty long time. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

At the same time though, they haven’t done this much formal drill in a show in a pretty long time. 

Definitely.  Kind of a nice change-up to see that.  

• Like 2

How are people feeling about the brassline this year? 

14 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

How are people feeling about the brassline this year? 

I heard on reddit they’re using system blue horns this year and that when watching them live, it sounds like the corps is struggling with their horns. Not sure what truth there is to that. 

I’ve heard issues with balance on video but apart from that they sound like a BD hornline. People who have watched them live probably have a better idea 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I heard on reddit they’re using system blue horns this year and that when watching them live, it sounds like the corps is struggling with their horns. Not sure what truth there is to that. 

I’ve heard issues with balance on video but apart from that they sound like a BD hornline. People who have watched them live probably have a better idea 

The EQ doesn't sound BD to me (as an alumni from the 1970's). Saw on video and didn't like the sound...saw them live and they were okay, but they don't have the low frequency-based sound they've had with the King horns. They seem to be fine with them, but for my money the trumpets are pretty edgy compared to usual. Some of the commentary you see on Redditt is from alumni who haven't heard it live, so I'd take any of that banter with a grain of salt. Would I prefer the Kings? Yup. Are the SB horns total ####? Of course not. They're good, but have more of a Jupiter sound to them than I'm used to. 

• Like 1

Just watched BD's run from Broken Arrow on YT. I am really starting to get excited. This show is slowly coming together. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Just watched BD's run from Broken Arrow on YT. I am really starting to get excited. This show is slowly coming together. 

Ya.. saw it too and your right it's coming together very well. I like it more and more each week. What I didn't see though is the changes they have made to the opener as I was told ealier up in this thread. So I assumed they probably saving it for this weekend competition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Ya.. saw it too and your right it's coming together very well. I like it more and more each week. What I didn't see though is the changes they have made to the opener as I was told ealier up in this thread. So I assumed they probably saving it for this weekend competition.

Check out the new BD 360 episode that on YT. It explains the transition into Natural Woman, and introducing another character, which is the guy behind the counter in the painting. Basically a Soldier who is coming back from war, see's a woman, falls in love with her, than the smooth criminal character comes in and fights the soldier, trying to take the woman from him. I keep saying this show has a 2015 feel to it. Standby for a late season push from BD. Will SCV win? Maybe. But you best believe BD will make them earn it. 

• Like 4

I love how in the new BD 360 episode, members of BD visit the art museum in Chicago and see the actual Nighthawk painting. So cool!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Check out the new BD 360 episode that on YT. It explains the transition into Natural Woman, and introducing another character, which is the guy behind the counter in the painting. Basically a Soldier who is coming back from war, see's a woman, falls in love with her, than the smooth criminal character comes in and fights the soldier, trying to take the woman from him. I keep saying this show has a 2015 feel to it. Standby for a late season push from BD. Will SCV win? Maybe. But you best believe BD will make them earn it. 

yeah thanks i will check it out. i did figure that part out looking closely over last weekend, the part where the guy coming from war and falls in love with the woman then there's a fight broke out over the women...  but i didn't know it was the smooth criminal who fights the soldier 

• Like 1