Blue Devils 2018

I feel BD guard needs some new innovation in their written book- that’s what the groups above them (last night) have.

Just watch some of the Flo videos of Boston’s guard to see the creative book they spin/dance.

Now no one is usually as clean or well trained and as consistent from member to member as BD is, so tonight will be interesting (esp since last time Michael turner judged guard he put Cadets over Boston!)

Edited by DCI-86

29 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I feel BD guard needs some new innovation in their written book- that’s what the groups above them (last night) have.

Just watch some of the Flo videos of Boston’s guard to see the creative book they spin/dance.

Now no one is usually as clean or well trained and as consistent from member to member as BD is, so tonight will be interesting (esp since last time Michael turner judged guard he put Cadets over Boston!)

What innovation did the groups above them last night have?

I think BD guard was more innovative.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

As someone who doesn't notice all the small nuances in guard work, could you show me what exactly in Boston's book is innovative? I've always known Crown guard to have very difficult and in your face/showy type of guard books, but I've never thought of it as innovative or different from other guards are doing apart from the difficulty itself

Wait why are we all saying Bloo’s going to beat BD all of a sudden??

Re: guard. I don’t think Boston’s writing is more innovative, really — the appeal of their program for me is that it feels a bit like a throwback to a classic way of writing/performing/staging guard, which is the opposite of innovative, but still completely worthwhile and, in their case, extremely effective. 

What Boston has, besides being clean, is charisma. Which sounds like a backhanded compliment, but in performance, and especially dance-based stuff, it’s incredibly important. It means they’re making it look easy—and on top of that, it means they’re making it impossible for you not to watch. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Definitely didn't deserve 4th last night... below bloo and scv hell no. you ever heard the saying that says you can't keep a good man down ? well no matter how they try BD you never stays down.

I don’t say this often, but should have been 1st by a mile.  The writing, the equipment use and movement could be a show by itself :-)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just rewatched last night’s performance 2x in a row. Ugh. What a cool, jam-packed show. Really takes you a full journey—feels like a five-course meal every time. Good luck BD! 

• Like 1

Congrats to the corps for keeping the unbelievable streak of first and second place finishes going! And congrats to the guard for yet another finals night win and taking 2 of the 3  nights this year. If only the semis sandbagging hadn't occurred, that final average might have ended up differently, but what incredible performances!

Dreams + Nighthawks will be one of my favorite BD shows because of all the creative risks it took, the enormous entertainment factor, and how it made us think differently about a painting we thought we already knew. Pure magic. :inlove:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1