Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

I had never heard of Acxiom prior to Bluecoats performing Vienna Teng's "Hymn of Acxiom" four years ago (I have heard probably a dozen marching bands play that tune since then), and have pretty much never heard of Acxiom outside of the musical context since then, so it was startling to come across that company's name in recent news reports. We can't discuss it here--it relates to the recent controversies surround Facebook, Cambridge Analytica, and privacy (the last of which was the message of V.T.'s song)--but I thought it was worth a passing mention. Shows you can learn something from drum corps!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I had never heard of Acxiom prior to Bluecoats performing Vienna Teng's "Hymn of Acxiom" four years ago (I have heard probably a dozen marching bands play that tune since then), and have pretty much never heard of Acxiom outside of the musical context since then, so it was startling to come across that company's name in recent news reports. We can't discuss it here--it relates to the recent controversies surround Facebook, Cambridge Analytica, and privacy (the last of which was the message of V.T.'s song)--but I thought it was worth a passing mention. Shows you can learn something from drum corps!

Her lyrics say it all!   Many have willing given away their "privacy."  There are a couple of interviews she gave about Acxiom that are worth the read/listen.  (Sorry I don't have links) 

somebody hears you. you know that. you know that.
now we possess you. you’ll own that. you’ll own that.
is that wrong?  isn’t this what you want?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldbandguy said:

Her lyrics say it all!   Many have willing given away their "privacy."  There are a couple of interviews she gave about Acxiom that are worth the read/listen.  (Sorry I don't have links) 

She talks about it some in this video.  Some funny other stuff in there too, like her demonstration of the “Imogen Heap button”.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Her lyrics say it all! Many have willing given away their "privacy."  There are a couple of interviews she gave about Acxiom that are worth the read/listen. (Sorry I don't have links.)

Yeah, and Bluecoats members sang the lyrics at the Massillon encore that year, as I recall.

24 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

She talks about it some in this video.  Some funny other stuff in there too, like her demonstration of the “Imogen Heap button”.  

Love that video.

So when are we going to get some updates on the 2018 season production  from the Bluecoats? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

So when are we going to get some updates on the 2018 season production  from the Bluecoats? 

After the season is over. :tongue:

7 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Congrats to Bluecoats Indoor on making Independent World finals in their first year competing!  

And good luck to Artistry in BLUE as they enter A Class finals today seeded 5th!

• Like 4