Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

What got the big crowd reaction in the opener? Couldn’t tell from the vids.

I will say, if I didn’t know better, I would think this was a Blue Devils show. Not saying that’s good or bad. It’s straight up BD from the arrangements, staging of brass, showflow and of course props staging. Weird.

From YouTube user Jesu Spectre, I present you the new copypasta:

"The 2018 Bluecoats show not only buries last year's effort, it raises the level of sophistication and artistry in the entire activity. The authenticity of this jazz production is bone deep. The show is well constructed, satisfying and thematically rock solid, especially for this early in the season. The visual show features hyper-scale chairs, a metaphor for the solitude and focus and minimalism of jazz composition. The vocalist is breathtaking and authentic, as if from a jazz age dream. (This girl wasn't cast in the role, she wrote it.) The costumes are Broadway quality-- jazz era adjacent, with pattern variety which gives the tone of assembled studio musicians. The staging and visual breadth of the show, on top of the genuine jazz vibe of each individual player, infuse the entire production with maturity and depth. An absolute barn burner. A Broadway quality production from beginning to end. A must see introduction to Jazz. This design triumph will win the DCI championship crown in 2018. I'm calling it now."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, flammaster said:

Just saw a video. clearly the better hornline! I Think the vocals is intended to be background as if someone left the radio on. if it is turned down it would be really effective.  thank you for playing some out jazz!

Background at points, BUT certainly front and center, star of the show moments for her during 
"Dry Cleaner" and "God Bless" too...but I love how early on they let everyone know this brass line IS FOR REAL.   And if you're a great tuba player you just gotta love Doug Thrower!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, superOOk said:

"The 2018 Bluecoats show not only buries last year's effort, it raises the level of sophistication and artistry in the entire activity. The authenticity of this jazz production is bone deep. The show is well constructed, satisfying and thematically rock solid, especially for this early in the season. The visual show features hyper-scale chairs, a metaphor for the solitude and focus and minimalism of jazz composition. The vocalist is breathtaking and authentic, as if from a jazz age dream. (This girl wasn't cast in the role, she wrote it.) The costumes are Broadway quality-- jazz era adjacent, with pattern variety which gives the tone of assembled studio musicians. The staging and visual breadth of the show, on top of the genuine jazz vibe of each individual player, infuse the entire production with maturity and depth. An absolute barn burner. A Broadway quality production from beginning to end. A must see introduction to Jazz. This design triumph will win the DCI championship crown in 2018. I'm calling it now."

Love everything he says EXCEPT "buries last year's effort."  2017 had MANY great moments as well as a show that breaks 95 should, but would agree that this show, and the return of JAZZ, is awesome.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, flammaster said:

Just saw a video. clearly the better hornline! I Think the vocals is intended to be background as if someone left the radio on. if it is turned down it would be really effective.  thank you for playing some out jazz!

Yes. Hornline is very crisp and clean with a lot of difficult licks. Very impressive actually especially if they clean it up a lot more. 

I didn't believe they beat crown in brass last night but seeing admittedly bad videos of both I get it.

• Like 1

There’s so much to love about this BlooJazz Session 44 production. It’s so entertaining. I don’t have to ask why or what they’re trying to do. The crowd digs it and that’s what they pay for - to be entertained  

I’m still waiting for an answer about Crowns Roach costume and who they’re suppose to be. With Bloo I know exactly what’s happening. 

Bloo is smooth, hip and cool. CoolBloo is what I call them. Can’t get any better than that. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, superOOk said:

6 corps have performed this season and we have a 2018 champion already?  :4_joy:

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, DAYGO said:

6 corps have performed this season and we have a 2018 champion already?  :4_joy:

Well yeah... The Blue Devils have it locked and they haven't played a note.

Duh...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Yes. Hornline is very crisp and clean with a lot of difficult licks. Very impressive actually especially if they clean it up a lot more. 

I didn't believe they beat crown in brass last night but seeing admittedly bad videos of both I get it.

Why not? no big loooooong opening chords with a mello run in the middle of the show? Bluecoats play interesting music.