Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

Bump for Bloooooooo!

• Like 1

I’m definitely a fan! Lost of cool visual stuff going on and I LOVE their usage of the props. Just saw one of the guard members get hit with the pole of her flag but she looks like she’s ok. I’m thinking medal contention is a given at this point.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 2

15 hours ago, patrick643 said:

I’m not a percussion guy so what can Bluecoats do to improve their content score?

Nothing they can do. It’s a matter of opinion, and some opinions will be more favorable than others. 

• Like 1

Hey Bluecoats my Hey Google device is telling me your too loud and it can't get it's normal spying done but can with all the other corps. Message is anymore Bluecoats and I will find a way to unplug myself. Keep up the good work. Thanks

Edited by Bluzes
typo

32 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Nothing they can do. It’s a matter of opinion, and some opinions will be more favorable than others. 

And in the end I’m not sure it matters that much. The Bluecoats shows for the past several years are all about creating a fan-pleasing experience, regardless of placement. I can honestly say that I can’t think of another corps that has had my favorite show for more years in a row than 2014 - present Bluecoats.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

It may be a matter of opinion on any given night (like Orlando)... but the trend is a fact. This trend will be interesting to see if it continues to be a book AND performance issue.  They need to improve better than 6th though, or their placement will be a huge drag on overall scoring which will keep them from the Gold.  

Edited by Wog

19 hours ago, patrick643 said:

I’m not a percussion guy so what can Bluecoats do to improve their content score?

My initial observations after seeing the show online twice and not necessarily doing a direct comparison to everyone else. Content is what it is, it is essentially a show design caption so it won't drastically change without rewrites.

1. More front ensemble contribution is needed. They get overshadowed by groups like the Cavaliers, SCV and BD when it comes to the front. I'm not a huge fan of the pod set up where players are either playing vibes or marimba and in most of the show they are all playing vibe or all playing marimba. They also don't have wow moments when the front plays. They are always overshadowed by the brass or the battery.

2. Battery needs to show more dynamic contrast than playing or not playing. They have a couple of moments where its not all out drumming but the general Bluecoats M.O. when it comes to drumming is basically ram notes, play a groove pattern, or don't play. They also seem very snare drum focused and not much spread around the other sections.

I'm honestly surprised Crown is scoring as high as they are but I think they are doing a better job of spreading the love in the full musical package this year. I always felt in the past their shows were 11 minutes of "Look at how good our hornline is!" but they seem to be doing a better job as spreading the contribution around the whole corps which has led to higher content scores from them at this point. I don't think it will hold up by the end of the season however. Crown will max out their package before finals rolls around.

When all is said and done, there is no percussion package that even touches SCV from a content and contribution standpoint. Barring a performance meltdown I full expect them to runaway with things this year. Ultimately percussion placements will probably fall into a similar order as last year. everyone seems to be playing at a similar level as last season, Boston may sneak up a bit further but I expect Bluecoats to most likely be ahead of Cadets in the end. It's a dog fight in the percussion caption.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

2. Battery needs to show more dynamic contrast than playing or not playing. They have a couple of moments where its not all out drumming but the general Bluecoats M.O. when it comes to drumming is basically ram notes, play a groove pattern, or don't play. They also seem very snare drum focused and not much spread around the other sections.

Perfect description of BD batteries of the last 20 years.