Blue Knights 2018

Would love to see Blue Knights push past 6th. That's been the ceiling for them so far, but they have the talent to push them further. They have an identity that no one else has come close to copying. They just need a better visual design to get there (though by the end of the 2017 season, I came to realize that their visual design was really quite brilliant).

I really hope they keep their musical staff intact, as well as the person who does their color schemes. 

• Like 5

60th Year Anniversary.... Going to be an epic year to be a Blue Knight. I am excited to see where this design team takes them. They're onto something big in their concepts to get audience emotion and minds opened. I feel like instead of hitting you over the head with a hammer and theme they are more organic and give the audience the opportunity to explore the show for themselves. 

The corps having Bocook solely with them this year was huge and wow what a book in 2017. Lots to look forward to, and I believe recruiting will be awesome again heading into 2018

• Like 4

Blue Knights need to look no further than SCV for visual inspiration and direction. They don't need pink ramps, white ladders, and mad max staging to field compelling visual designs.

• Like 3

It's finding that balance too right Mike? I feel like the BK drill from 14-15 was stellar but the visual/choreography this year was much better. It's striking a balance between the two like Bluecoats have done

18 minutes ago, wesleyrp said:

It's finding that balance too right Mike? I feel like the BK drill from 14-15 was stellar but the visual/choreography this year was much better. It's striking a balance between the two like Bluecoats have done

Blue Knights appear to begin their design concept discussions with music, and then much later in the game throw in visual ideas. None of their visual concepts ever feel central to the basic show. You could have removed the entire guard from this year's show and missed nothing. 

Consider that statement about Blue Devils, SCV, Bluecoats, Boston, Cadets, Cavaliers. 

Knights are basically competing with one arm tied behind their backs.

I agree about the guard. Although I feel a little different and do have a bit of insight about their design. I feel there a two thoughts-

1) This was the first year of Bocook solely to BK so the music jumped, even though his music has been great for them, this year was special.

2) I think they absolutely took the visual design in connection to music and equally, but took a bunch of risks that weren't necessary. (i.e. Guard equipment, Costuming Etc) I feel in some respects they tried too hard to dazzle with the visual side and while effective in many areas you are right- it took a lot of rewrites and still didn't quite have the impact of the music. I do think JC Caseras is a very bright and creative visual designer and they are unto something. I'm betting you'll see an addressing of those areas that lacked.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Blue Knights appear to begin their design concept discussions with music, and then much later in the game throw in visual ideas. None of their visual concepts ever feel central to the basic show. 

Completely disagree in 2013, 2014, and 2016

What they did musically in 2017 which was an evolution of the prior four seasons was what I personally would love to see as the future of the activity musically.   Pure and INCREDIBLY dynamic brass that stands on its own with just enough modern effects and touches thrown on top to add some sparkle.   Incredible pacing and arranging that throws the norm out the window and lets space and staging visually add to the musical texture.  Use of silence and letting the energy just breathe.    INCREDIBLE percussion writing and performance quality that is unique and special to them. The Schwantner Percussion Concerto portion of the show embodies everything right with what they do.  Pure and progressive.   Restrained and exciting.   It was an amazing dichotomy of what we know and what we can expect.   I am SO glad I came around to their show in the end.  I gave them some really unfair grief and criticism over the last two seasons and I feel pretty ###### about it.  I don't think it was quite as strong conceptually as 2014 or 2015 and visual design had some issues but it got back to the root of why they were my pick for next new champion after 2015.   They're so close.  With the right show concept and visual design they're gonna explode.  And what better year than an Anniversary?   Looking forward to it BK.   

• Like 9

DrumMan do not feel bad about your feelings. Every corps does things with the best intentions and sometimes they just don't get to the audience they way they're intended. You're one of the fairest and honest people on this board about the things that are both excellent for this activity and what should be re-thought. That's what makes your opinions so genuine and appreciated

• Like 1