Blue Knights 2018

On 8/13/2017 at 2:04 PM, wesleyrp said:

Hehehe the last time they brightened things up came with Blue Toon in 01..... I prefer sophisticated BK myself, but then again I'm superstitious 

Wes,

Both the snowscape show and the Avian show had their light moments which including intent, action, and design. Humor can blend with the serious. It doesn't always have to be binary choices between guffaw and high brow cement faces.

• 3 weeks later...

Blue Knights seem to be leaving the Rocky Mountain thin air with the announcement of their new brass staff  seemingly looking for the big Southern sound.. Of the 11 people involved with the brass program, 9 of them are from the Southeast of the U.S.

From Bocook at Furman, SC,; Chap Pence, Summerville, SC, Ben Pouncey, Summerville, SC, Jim Barnes until recently of Blythewood, SC, Don Taylor, grad of U.So. Car., band director in GA; Clayton from GA; and the Florida crowd of Paula, Kyler,.,and Robert. And of course in this age of diversity and inclusion, they named 2 of Indiana, Matt and Keith.

Edited by xandandl

On 8/13/2017 at 3:04 PM, MikeRapp said:

There is a huge difference between designing shows "with visual in mind" and making visual central to the design. Again, I have been one of the most vocal supporters of Blue Knights this year. They have the coolest brass and percussion book on tour (save Vanguard) and did the best to use but not abuse amplification. In the offseason, theirs will be one of the few recordings I will listen to.

That said, of all the corps out there, they continue to be the corps on the outside looking in that has a chance to become a medal contender. You don't have to do the visual vomit fest of Cavaliers to be in that group, thankfully, but little mirrors and tarps don't cut it either.

Not sure why you, or really anyone from the past two seasons, feel the need to make random digs at the Cavies’ new and successful style randomly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Not sure why you, or really anyone from the past two seasons, feel the need to make random digs at the Cavies’ new and successful style randomly 

Maybe because not everyone likes the new style. Maybe because the Cavaliers aren't above criticism. For what it's worth, I agree that this year's Cavaliers show was indeed a "visual vomit fest". 

• Thanks 3

On 10/7/2017 at 9:50 PM, Cappybara said:

My digs aren’t random, they are wholly consistent. I don’t like much of what they are putting on the field.

I did like the Blue Knights show in 2015 anyway..... well, just because.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No one has said anything about BK's percussion staff announcement. I don't know who was on staff last year, so I'm not sure what has changed. Hopefully they had a lot of retention; getting 4th in on-field percussion in finals was a pretty huge achievement. 

http://ascendperformingarts.org/blue-knights-announce-2018-percussion-staff/

30 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Does Bocock still arrange for BK?

Yep. He was the arranger last season, and will still be the arranger this coming season.

• Thanks 1