Blue Knights 2018

I was able to make it out from Australia and see their Memorial Day preview. Their brass and percussion are monsterous. As someone said, they do have an aura about them. They have an odd way of shining while playing dark and expressive music, and while I despise spandex, I think their uniform colors are fantastic. Whatever else 2018 brings, I know I’ll enjoy their show. 

• Like 1

Wow- awesome you got to make it! It’s the 60th Anniversary and I so wish I could go to Drums this year, but it just didn’t work out! Oh well, I’ll enjoy some great drum corps when everyone gets to San Antonio.

I was able to watch a little bit of brass rehearsal yesterday, and I’m going again tonight for full ensemble. Goooood stuff happening!! I’m definitely liking this vibe more than last year’s show, that was kind of a miss for me musically. Rite of spring is pretttty cool. Still not quite clean, and it’s hard for me to say a placement guess because I’ve only seen a little bit of the show, but I love the music I heard!! Can’t wait to see a run through tonight. 

Edited by Who's on first?

On 6/16/2018 at 12:10 AM, Herk said:

3.  Front ensemble and drumline.  I'm not the person to judge, but it sounded ###### good to me.

Some of my favorite writing in the activity the past few seasons.

Looking forward to seeing them this Friday.

8 hours ago, Who's on first? said:

I was able to watch a little bit of brass rehearsal yesterday, and I’m going again tonight for full ensemble. Goooood stuff happening!! I’m definitely liking this vibe more than last year’s show, that was kind of a miss for me musically. Rite of spring is pretttty cool. Still not quite clean, and it’s hard for me to say a placement guess because I’ve only seen a little bit of the show, but I love the music I heard!! Can’t wait to see a run through tonight. 

Let me know if they show what they know of the closer during run through

posted from the DrumScorps app

It’s so great that they are finishing their closer up the next few days... so happy they’ll have a complete product in Cali this year and a great product at that. 

Cant wait to wait the Stanford Stream

Sooo report! Just yesterday they began learning drill for part 5. I counted about 9-10 minutes on the field, with just less than a minute having been learned that day. But, sounds amazing!!! I can’t wait to see the show in costiform!

Brass: Oof. Rite of Spring is tough!!! Definitely playing tough music, and they’ll get it down. Intonation-wise, they’re killing it and have no problems there. Balance and blend is good, but they’re kinda dirty rythmically in the hardest parts. Trumpets/mellos have a cool double tonguing feature in the opener that’s pretty sweet, but definitely needs to be worked on. Trombones need to play a bigger part than they are, it doesn’t really feel different other than some small glissandos. However, the loud parts are still loud, and I still melted a little inside every time... :):)

battery/pit: not a percussion guy, but they sound good!!! Particularly the bass drums caught my attention! I love BK’s drumline because they sound so unique! 

Guard: I think the color guard may have been using practice silks, the colors seemed too random at times... but IDK. I’m  DEFINITELY not a guard guy.  Seemed pretty clean though. There’s some cool moments in which they interact with the props. (Won’t spoil those) Also, they brought back the “Eye of Horus” airbladeish weapons from last year. 

Overall, I think this show will be a little less “out there” than last year. I think they will have one guardmemeber that is playing the part of the Pharaoh, there was one who was consistently featured. Opener seems to just jump around musically though, not enough phrase connection I think. Then again, it’s Rite of Spring! Looking forward to where this is going!! Much more than last year. 

Edited by Who's on first?