Sign in to follow this  
DrumManTx

Thoughts on Every Single Show I Saw in the 2017 Season

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

As always, you call them as you see them and you always see something you like.  That makes for an excellent review and reviewer.  Thank you!!!

I try my best.........they all deserve some love.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to say I searched you out on this but BAM there it was on my FB feed.  You have a gift for review, please continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bal00ga said:

I would love to say I searched you out on this but BAM there it was on my FB feed.  You have a gift for review, please continue.

This was on Facebook?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:42 AM, DrumManTx said:

 AND THEY GOT THEIR DINO NUGGS!!!

Yes, they did! Thanks to everyone's help. :cheer:

Edited by kkrepps
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2017 at 10:42 PM, DrumManTx said:
  • Blue Devils - Metamorph
    • 1st Place, High GE, High Visual Proficiency - 98.537

So.  In my infancy as a fan of the activity I was definitely off put by the Blue Devils.  Their shows were too confusing their shows were too easy blah blah.  I went through a ton of my time as a fan over almost the last decade annoyed when they would come out and go undefeated.  They were beating corps and shows I loved and it didn't seem like anyone else was being given a fair chance.  2014 I still felt the same way but they blew me away regardless.  2015 on finals night I loved a lot of other shows more but defended their win.  In 2016 I LOVED my Bluecoats riding high but began to really enjoy what Blue Devils had to offer, their ballad remains one of the moments I consider utter perfection in portrayal of a theme and visual staging.  Then this year happened.  I saw this show twice San Antonio week in Broken Arrow and San Antonio.  I was so close minded and had convinced myself that I was gonna hate it  and low and behold.......I didn't enjoy it.  Then they started adding things.  The voice overs.  Stuff started cleaning up.  Atlanta weekend.........they had me in tears at the end of their performance.  What this show transformed into..........it was an INCREDIBLY emotional, beautiful, and amazing tribute to where this corps came from, their roots and incredible legacy full of amazing references to their storied past.  It was an amazing display of who they are now with incredibly challenging staging and depth for me as an audience member to sort through.  And it was an AMAZING peak into the window of what this corps future could hold.  The thread of time throughout this show and how they paid tribute to their whole history is just...........incredible.  And I have no ties to the organization.  I can't imagine what this must be like for alums or MMs of this organization.  As a future educator the level they perform at in everything is staggering.......the clarity, professionalism, and expertise they do everything with blows my mind.  But when it's all said and done, when they hit that ballad tonight with that AMAZING flag feature, the INCREDIBLE music and soloists, and just overall marriage of that moment.........it left me speechless and weak.  2017 made me a Blue Devils fan.  Any hate and distaste I had is gone.  I have nothing but respect, admiration, and gratitude for what they did this year.  I'm just sad it took me this long to get here.  Congrats on #18 Blue Devils.  What a journey this was for me, I'm dying to see what 2018 has to offer and no more taking a whole season or years to come around to shows.  I'm a fan from the get go from now on.   

I am grateful to you for reviewing all the shows with such positivity and integrity.  You are one of the few who look at ALL drum corps equally and with the same anticipation.

I just wanted to say that I went on a similar journey with BD as you did and came to the same place you did in 2017.  There is just no denying what they put on the field this year, and what was represented there.  It was truly moving.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2017 at 0:48 AM, luv4corps said:

I am grateful to you for reviewing all the shows with such positivity and integrity.  You are one of the few who look at ALL drum corps equally and with the same anticipation.

I just wanted to say that I went on a similar journey with BD as you did and came to the same place you did in 2017.  There is just no denying what they put on the field this year, and what was represented there.  It was truly moving.

I just wish it didn't take until the end of July to get there, and I can say that for my own personal enjoyment of BDs shows over the last few years.  There's so much to process it just takes me some time to do that and when I do I really...really...really love their shows.   

I won't be waiting that long next summer :bluedevil:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I just wish it didn't take until the end of July to get there, and I can say that for my own personal enjoyment of BDs shows over the last few years.  There's so much to process it just takes me some time to do that and when I do I really...really...really love their shows.   

I won't be waiting that long next summer :bluedevil:

Seriously, I'm like, maybe I should give those flying Cabaret Voltaire hoola hoops another look-see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, luv4corps said:

Seriously, I'm like, maybe I should give those flying Cabaret Voltaire hoola hoops another look-see...

I've actually come to really love that 2012 show, above all else for some absolutely incredibly musical moments (opener and closer specifically).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 3:04 PM, DrumManTx said:

I've actually come to really love that 2012 show, above all else for some absolutely incredibly musical moments (opener and closer specifically).  Of

Edited by luv4corps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 3:04 PM, DrumManTx said:

I've actually come to really love that 2012 show, above all else for some absolutely incredibly musical moments (opener and closer specifically).  

That was my first experience with a BD head scratcher  - seemed entirely too visually busy to me at the time - but I was still a total noob.  I have learned so much since then.  That's why I'd really like to go back and see it again, knowing what I know now about the organization and drum corps in general.  I did fully appreciate Felliniesque and As Dreams were Made On though, while, admittedly, I'm blanking on the Rite of Spring show.  Probably because I was so enamored with e=em2. :unsure:

Edited by luv4corps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.